files in the startup directory, and found nothing. However
when I try to start excel again, the same thing happens. It
seems to start normally, and then it just closes and goes
away. I tried reinstalling xlstat, then choosing not to have
it start automatically, and for five seconds I did have a
normal worksheet in front of me. Then boom, it closes, and
nothing.
Can you help me solve this problem. My xlstart directory is
empty but I still cannot run excel at all.

Thanks in advance.
Margo Guda.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Go to Tools-Options, General tab.
Anything in Alternate Startup location?
Also make sure you're viewing hidden files when you look in these folders for files.

If none of this works, and you're on 2000, try Help-Detect and Repair.

If that doesn't work, hit Start-Run and type regedit and hit enter.

Browse to:

Office 97:
hkey_current_usersoftwaremicrosoftoffice8.0excel

Office 2000:
hkey_current_usersoftwaremicrosoftoffice9.0excel

Office XP/2002:
hkey_current_usersoftwaremicrosoftoffice10.0excel

Right-click the Excel folder and rename it to OldExcel. Try launching Excel again.

If this doesn't help you, go back into the registry and delete the new Excel folder, and rename OldExcel back to Excel to set your registry back the way it was before you started the registry changes.

Upvote 0
I uninstalled the trial software using control panel|add/remove software; and made sure its files were gone.
I cannot get into excel long enough to do anything, so checking options etc will not help. I tried the registry edit, but it did not help. I looked at open files (there is a utility that can show what files are open) and I see nothing strange or unusual that I can recognize. Here are the office files that were open when excel again died right after opening it: excel.exe, mso9.dll, xlintl32.dll, mso9intl.dll. Also open were a number of dll files belonging to office 97 which also lives on my system: mso7enu.dll, osaintl.dll, mso97.dll, and osa.exe.
I had read that office 97 and 2000 could be installed on the same system without conflict, and in fact have not had reason to doubt that.

Upvote 0
in not a fan of regedit and advise aginst them simple thats the engine and a mechanic tunes cars and most users are average just like me i do not regedit.

....I had read that office 97 and 2000 could be installed on the same system without conflict, and in fact have not had reason to doubt that.

thisis true i do it all the time but these a secret Microsoft make life hard, and as all the pirate out there you need to work arround this issue.

Ok load the highest forst ie 2000 then load 97 but change the load file/dir to JackOffice97 not the offered default this will trick 97 and not upset 2000, no open a file 2000 will open it so your never get 97 to run>>> but shourt cut the exe to run 97...

this works ok, 2000 looks for other offices installs and removes them in instal by default XP does also

you must go backwards..

FIX if you have 97 loaded upgarde and then realaod as ive said.. should work ok

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks for your thoughts.
I have found additional information about this topic at Woody's Office Lounge http://www.wopr.com/lounge. It seems when my computer went to the shop a while ago they installed an illegal version of office 2000 on my machine, which has been boobytrapped by Microsoft to stop working.
I have since removed it from my system, and consider this topic closed.
I appreciate your efforts trying to help me solve my problem.

Margo Guda.

Upvote 0
Sorry to be posting to this old thread but I have a reason.

First of all I find XLStat to be fine and dandy software for factor analysis and annovas.

It was very cheap in the past, especially for academics (way way cheaper than the SPSS SAS alternatives. I think that I paid 200$). If it works then for the caculations that you want to perform then why pay more?

Alas, while I still have the licence code, I do not have the software itself. The seller Theirry Farmy? no longer supports the old version for which I have a licence key.

Please would anyone be so kind as to send me an old version 2002ish of XLstat? I do NOT need the licence, only the software itself.

Tim
my email address is
nospam at nihonbunka d0t com

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back