Simple Countif formula not working

MajinGrohl

Hello,
I am having an issue with a countif formula, which is returning the correct answers for the first few rows, but zero for the rest.
I have a list of times that I imported from a text file, formatted hh:mm:ss which is in the range A1:A8768, the times range between 10:31:00 and 10:39:00 with duplicates of times appearing, I am trying to count the duplicates. Which is where my formula comes in, I have created a second list of times in column B, this time 10:31:00 to 10:39:00 with no duplicates and in consecutive order, then in column C I have the following formula =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$8768,B1).
The problem is that the formula works in the first 15 rows and in the 29th row (oddly), but returns "0" for the rest, which I know to be wrong, because I have checked (some of them).
I have tried entering the countif formula for some of the incorrect cells without the absolute references, that doesn't work, I have also tried converting the dates to numbers, that also doesn't work. I started working in Excel 2003 with the imported txt file of the data, I tried opening the saved 2003 .xls file in 2007, I then tried importing the text file it into Excel 2007, none of which work.
I entered the formula firstly into the row 1, then double clicked the fill down to copy the formula down to the bottom of the table, for a fraction of a second, the cells containing the incorrect "0" flash with what I'm assuming is the correct answer and then turn to "0"!!!!!!

Whats happening, what have I missed, can I throw the PC out of the window yet? I could have done the job by hand by now, so much for "I know how to make this tedious analysis much quicker!!!!!"

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hi Dave and welcome to the Board
Without seeing your data shouldn't the formula be
Code:
=IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A8768,$B1)>1,"Duplicates", "No Match")

Upvote 0
Check that your times are serial times using the ISNUMBER function. Also check that the cells contain what you expect when formatted as General.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foxpro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back