Cell Referencing between worksheets

Magoo

Hi All

I am trying to get excel to recognise a pattern. The problem is that on sheet 2 of my work book I want cells A1:D1, A8:D8, A16:D18 to reflect identical data from sheet one. The procedure that I am using is:

On sheet 2 (in cell A1) I am clicking on = then sheet 1, cell A1 then clicking on the green tick. I follow this procedure for cells B1:D1, then again for cells A2:D2 to give excel an idea of the pattern. When I highlight my 2 rows of data in sheet 2 and drag down, I dont get the data I am looking for. I have tried the above procedure on up to 5 lines of data, but still no joy when I drag down.

Any ideas?

Thank you all for your input and your chuckles at my expense. I am going to give it a go very shortly.

:)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I have tried

=INDIRECT("Sheet1!"&(CHAR(COLUMN(BM:BM))&(1+(((ROW()-1)/7)*1))))

I have typed it exactly as it is, verbatim, no variations or deviations and I get a #REF error message.

Now what???

Upvote 0
Magoo,

I did offer 2 formulae : the first looked at gaps of 6 and the second looked at gaps of 7.... you're still using the first, you need to use the 2nd (see above)

it's :

=INDIRECT("Sheet1!"&(CHAR(COLUMN(BM:BM))&(1+(((ROW()-1)/8)*1))))

in cell A1 sheet 2, copy accross then copy all 4 cells down to to your destination rows

This message was edited by Chris Davison on 2002-05-14 04:58

Upvote 0
I have corrected my formula but I still am getting higgldy, piggldy results. I may not have explained myself very well initially.

I want to take the information from sheet 1, rows 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 and so on incrementing by 7 each time and put this information in to sheet 2 on rows 2,3,4,5 and so on.

In other words:

the info on sheet 1, row 2, columns B-F needs to show up in sheet 2, row 2, in columns A-E
the info on sheet 1, row 9, columns B-F needs to show up in sheet 2, row 3, in columns A-E

the info on sheet 1, row 16, columns B-F needs to show up in sheet 2, row 4, in columns A-E

the info on sheet 1, row 23, columns B-F needs to show up in sheet 2, row 5, in columns A-E

I cant cut and paste because if the information on sheet one changes, then I need to be able to reflect this on sheet 2, plus it takes too long.

I have tried the following:

With the cursor in cell A2, sheet 2, I have clicked on the equals sign, then sheet 1, then cell A2. I can fill across using this method, but not down. Excel won’t recognise the pattern.

Upvote 0
EUREKA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WORKS, IT WORKS, IT WORKS

:)))))

Many thanks for being so patient and helpful.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back