conditional formatting question

beastwood

i want to highlight lowest value on a range of cells say
A1:F1

i dont see an option in the cond formating to do this do i need to type a formula?

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
On 2002-05-05 10:50, beastwood wrote:
i want to highlight lowest value on a range of cells say
A1:F1

i dont see an option in the cond formating to do this do i need to type a formula?

Select A1:F1.
Activate Format|Conditional Formatting.
Select Formula Is for Condition 1.
Enter as formula:

=A1=MIN($A$1:$F$1)

Activate Format.
Select a desired color either from "Patterns" tab or "Font' tab.
Activate OK, OK.

Upvote 0
When you format the cells using a color for shading, that color displays in the range until you enter values. If your spreadsheet has multiple rows where you apply this formatting, you'll have a large block of cells with color making the spreadsheet unsightly. Is there a way to apply the formatting to the range of cells only when data is present in one or more of the cells?

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-09 20:40, JimH wrote:
When you format the cells using a color for shading, that color displays in the range until you enter values. If your spreadsheet has multiple rows where you apply this formatting, you'll have a large block of cells with color making the spreadsheet unsightly. Is there a way to apply the formatting to the range of cells only when data is present in one or more of the cells?

Hi JimH:
It is not clear from your question whether you are talking about Conditional Formating or Formating Cell by filling them in with some color.

Conditional Formating correctly applied would do what you are describing to be a desirable way of doing it.

Regards!

Upvote 0
Yogi,

I'm talking about conditional formatting. I used Aladin's solution from above, but I modified his formula from =A1=MIN($A$1:$F$1) to =A1=MIN($A1:$F1) because it didn't work when I copied it down several rows.

All the cells where I copied the conditional format are green until a value is entered into one of the cells. I'd like to have the cells blank (with no color) until all values are entered in A1 to F1 and the minimum value is determined. I hope this is clear.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-09 22:55, JimH wrote:
Yogi,

I'm talking about conditional formatting. I used Aladin's solution from above, but I modified his formula from =A1=MIN($A$1:$F$1) to =A1=MIN($A1:$F1) because it didn't work when I copied it down several rows.

All the cells where I copied the conditional format are green until a value is entered into one of the cells. I'd like to have the cells blank (with no color) until all values are entered in A1 to F1 and the minimum value is determined. I hope this is clear.

Jim,

Select the whole range of interest before applying conditional formatting. Lets say that the range is A1:F10.

Use the following formula to avoid the problem you mention:

=AND(ISNUMBER(A1),A1=MIN($A$1:$F$10))

Aladin

Upvote 0
Aladin,

This isn't working exactly right. I need it to highlight the lowest value in each row not the lowest value in the entire range.

Thanks,
Jim

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-10 09:46, JimH wrote:
Aladin,

This isn't working exactly right. I need it to highlight the lowest value in each row not the lowest value in the entire range.

Thanks,
Jim

Select all the rows of interest via row indicator. And use:

=AND(ISNUMBER(A1),A1=MIN(1:1))

I assumed from row 1 on. Adjust to suit.

Upvote 0
I use the conditional formatting with two conditions:

1. Condition 1: enter the formula =(isblank(A1)) and select patterns, no color. The cell will remain non-shaded until a value is entered.

2. Condition 2: enter your other formula with desired color, etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back