Creating multiple series chart without hand selecting each dataset

sophie619

First time poster here, but I've checked out the cross posting info and hope am doing it correctly. Please let me know if I'm not doing it the correct way, and I will try my best to correct it. I didn't get any replies in the other forum.

Original thread link:
Creating multiple series chart without hand selecting each dataset
Please post replies at the original link, or if you are not registered, let me know and I will post it there and mark both of them solved.

I've been working in Excel for awhile, but not with such large datasets. I'm starting to learn VBA also, but was looking to do this without it, if possible. After searching google, I don't think it's possible, but maybe you all can help me.

Is there an easy way to create a chart with multiple series, but not actually put each of the series in manually?

The problem is that I have 2 columns that I want to plot, but each series could be 1 point or many points. Each series is represented in the example workbook by a letter (j,k,m,n) and then I'd like to plot (3,9) as if it were an (x,y) pair.

j39
j44
j452
k234
k33
k6554
k760
m346
n754

<tbody>
</tbody>
The reason I would like to not select all these by hand is that there are about 100 different series (which I would not put all on the same graph) and I'm going to have to do this on multiple spreadsheets for different data sets.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
I've written some rough pseudo code, maybe someone can help me turn this into a macro?

I'm trying to capture x data and y data for each series in an array, so that I can use the SERIES function to graph them.

Here's the code:

Code:
For Each row In column A <> empty 
    For i=1 To 100 
        If (row In column A) = i 
        xsubi=xsubi+B(row) (this needs To be an array that can grow.  Do I need To know how big it can possibly get, Or Is it possible To create this dynamically?) 
        ysubi=ysubi+C(row) (same As above) 
        go To Next row 
    End If 
    End For i 
    go To Next row 
    End For

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back