decimal alignment of numbers with various decimals

Kristel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need to "decimal align" a lot of numbers , some of them with decimals of varying length, others without decimals. When the numbers have no decimals, i don't want to see a decimal separator. If i use the ? i only see the decimals i need to see but i can 't get rid of the decimal sign for the whole numbers. Can anyone help me???
Thanks a lot!!!!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I can't imagine why you would need that but...

I could not find a cell format that worked. You could try to simulate what you want by placing the whole numbers in one column, right justified, and place the decimal portion in the next column, left justified. The problem is that the spacing on each side of the decimal will probably not match. Therefore you could split it into three columns whole number, decimal ,and decimals, but that's ugly.

You could also convert the numbers to text, use a constant width font. You should be able to make a suitable equation from the available math and text functions.

Good luck,

Brian

Upvote 0
You could use the text to columns with the delimiter set as "." if you then left align anything in the right hand columns (the decimal numbers) and right align the left hand column (Whole numbers) this will give you a printable version of what you are looking for

Upvote 0
i don 't need this for a printout and the numbers should remain numbers so converting them to text won't do...
it really should look like this:

i still hope someone will find a solution...

Upvote 0
my example in the foregoing message didn't work...i see al the spaces are lost so my firgures aren't aligned as they should.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-06 04:11, Kristel wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need to "decimal align" a lot of numbers , some of them with decimals of varying length, others without decimals. When the numbers have no decimals, i don't want to see a decimal separator. If i use the ? i only see the decimals i need to see but i can 't get rid of the decimal sign for the whole numbers. Can anyone help me???
Thanks a lot!!!!

Kristel,

Did you try

#,##0.??????_);(#,##0.??????);0.??????_);@

which is a custom format?

Aladin

Upvote 0
[/quote]

Kristel,

Did you try

Aladin

[/quote]

Aladin
I get a decimal after integers when using that format, e.g 2 becomes 2.

Upvote 0
On 2002-06-28 00:47, inarbeth wrote:
Kristel,

Did you try

Aladin

Aladin
I get a decimal after integers when using that format, e.g 2 becomes 2.

That's right. The following

#,##0.0?????_);(#,##0.??????);0.0?????_);@

would show 2 as 2.0

Anything better on offer would be nice.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back