Changing comment position ?

Billm

Board Regular
Is it possible to change the position of the red triangle in a cell that denotes a comment ?

My worksheet is restricted to only a couple of columns and the comment in the last column displays outside of the users viewable area. Is there some way of making the comment display to the Left of the cell as opposed to the right as standard ?

Thanks
Bill

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
eek. that's a tricky one.

If one could test the cells in question for the presence of a comment, then VBA could alter the border around the cell (color, line thickness, etc). Food for though for the VBA gurus, I suppose.

Personally I'd just as soon expand the viewable area to one more column, and shrink that column down so it looked more like a border (1 character wide). Then you'll see the comment 'flag' but not much more.

Upvote 0
As far as moving the comment to the left, YES, just click on the comment object, and with the 4-headed arrow, move it to the desired location -- it will still have the arrow line pointing back to the top right hand corner of the commentel cell.

regards!

Yogi Anand

Upvote 0
Yogi .. do you mean use the "edit comment" option then position the box using the arrow ? .. I have tried that and yes it does move the box .. but only for editing .. under normal user-viewing .. the comment box still pops up in its original position ie to the right of the cell

Upvote 0
I imagine you are using Comment_Indicator option -- ya! in that case the box does not stay in the moved location.
However if you choose the Comment_Indicator and Comment option from Tools|Options|View|Comments -- you can have the comment stay visible all the time and you can have it located to the left side and it will stay that way.

regards!

Yogi Anand

Upvote 0
OH .. I see now .. yep I've just tried that .. but it displays all the other comments permanently and I have many more .. they're all over the place .. lolol

so .. that wont do I'm afraid .. is there anything else I can try ?

Thanks for your help
Bill

Upvote 0
Yes that's right -- it's all or nothing. You could try a text box for this particular situation-- and the text box can be located in any position you like, and can stay on all the time if that's you rdesire or even that you can hide or display as an object.

Regards!

Yogi Anand

Upvote 0
refering back, i have tried for years to do this or even change the colour and size of the comment FLAG

FAILED. i ve asked all my guru VBA coders many on this board, no one of them ever fails to reply to my emails

all said nope, sorry, errr, and i tried..

from that i state, with styrength NO this can not be done the flag fly as she likes and no one can change her!

please prove me wrong!

Upvote 0
if all else fails, you could use the camera

take a snapshot of the cells where the comment pops up (ie the ones that are offscreen)

then pop the image to the left of your cell with the comment in it

right click the image and format it with no border lines

then drag the image so it aligns up perfectly.

Beilieve it or not, when the comment appears on the right, it also appears on the left.

The downside to this (and it's a big one) is that the image sits on top of the cells underneath which can't be utilised normally, which may be unacceptable.

here's how to get the camera :

view
toolbars
customise
commands
tools.......... scrolldown the options

click the camera icon and drag it to your toolbar, you should now have a camera sitting on your toolbar

now highlight your cells in question and click the camera, this will take a snapshot of those cells

now go to where you want to show them as an image, click and drag to max size

Upvote 0
Jack,

I thought you'd said recently that you've managed to change the red comment triangle to green. I could be wrong though.

Hey, on a side note (off topic). Have you changed the way you post recently? I know you've had comments about the readability of your posts, but you've put together some really clear posts lately. (this is a compliment BTW) :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back