SO Basic!! Default saving and opening an excel file.

JohnnyHK

Hi
I have a problem which is very minor but is causing me a major headache. If anyone could help me with it I would be very grateful.

I use Office ’97 (sorry no cash to upgrade) I use an Excel workbook in which there is set up over 200 individual hyperlinks to download data from a source on the net. Up until a short while ago, when I clicked on a hyperlink I was promted by a “File Download” box and presented with three options “OK, “Cancel” and “More info..” I would click “OK” and be presented with another box entitled “Save as” I could then enter a file name and click “Save”. Here’s where the problem begins. When I used to press “Save” it presented me with another box entitled “Download Complete” which asked me if I wanted to “open” the file or just “save” and close the file. For some reason Excel (now) automatically saves and closes the file and does not give me the option to open the file there and then. Because of this I have to find the file and open it manually. Doing this for 200 sets of data daily is incredibly boring.

How can I restore the default version which gave me the option to open the file straight away? For info I have removed Excel from the computer and then reinstalled it but the same problem persists.

Thank you in advance for your help
JohnnyHK

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
This is probably due to an option in you web browser and not excel. You may want to go into your WebBrowser Options and make sure : "Notify when downloads complete" has been enabled. Please note that the option your looking for will vary between browser versions.

Upvote 0
Nimrod
You are the greatest! Thank you so much. I knew it was simple but I'd never have got there without your input.

I'd like to return the favour but with my knowledge!! haha

Thanks again mate and all the best

JohnnHK

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back