Change font size in drop down lists

Jac

How do I increase the font size in my drop down lists? I often have to zoom my sheets smaller which makes the drop down boxes almost impossible to see. I'd like to up the text to about 14pt or higher - is this possible using the basic forms menu? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
One easy way to accomplish this is to change what you use for your drop downs.
Instead of using the forms method use the data validation method.
1-Toolbar..Data..Validation..select "setting tab".
2-Under "allow" select list
3-in "source" txtbx type comma seperated list of items to select from
(if you need a dynamic list use a named group instead of hardcoded list)

4- To change font size etc just change the format of the cell you made the dropdown list in... you can change any format aspect of this cell

Upvote 0
I have never been able to change font size or type in validation lists. Whatever the cell is formatted as, the validation list always uses default settings. If you have any luck in changing these settings, please let me know how you did it, because I and many others have tried and failed in the past.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-07 00:48, Mr Nick wrote:
I have never been able to change font size or type in validation lists. Whatever the cell is formatted as, the validation list always uses default settings. If you have any luck in changing these settings, please let me know how you did it, because I and many others have tried and failed in the past.

Works for me in Excel2000
What version are you using 97??

Why not use the Combbox from the control Toolbox, there are more Properties avail
using this ActiveX control.
This message was edited by Ivan F Moala on 2002-05-07 01:56

Upvote 0
I'm using Excel 97.

I have often tried and failed to use Wingdings formatting in validation boxes to enter ticks and crosses but although the cell is formatted as wingdings, the actual dropdown still shows ü and û. Also, the dropdown does not use the same text size as the cell.

Upvote 0
I have just tried on 2002 and the validation list cannot be formatted on that either.

Ivan, does your actual list format change or just the cell?

I have tried using the combobox as you suggest but a lot of my sheets have formatting changes that occur on activation of certain macros and the combo boxes do not resize to match these changes. Is it possible to lock a combobox to a cell so it matches the cell size?

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-07 03:09, Mr Nick wrote:
I have just tried on 2002 and the validation list cannot be formatted on that either.

Ivan, does your actual list format change or just the cell?

I have tried using the combobox as you suggest but a lot of my sheets have formatting changes that occur on activation of certain macros and the combo boxes do not resize to match these changes. Is it possible to lock a combobox to a cell so it matches the cell size?

Hi Mr Nick...my appologies the ACTUAL list font doesn't change...was thinking about the
actual Cell....the dropdown list font
canot be changed AFAIK.

As far as the comboboxs go...
Just select them and on the Drawing Toolbar
Select > Draw > Snap > toGrid

Then just size to the cell...it won't allow
you to go out side of a cell.
Also set the combobox to [Move & size with cells] so that resizing cells will adj automatically.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for trying - I had hoped it was something simple but obviously not. How frustrating. BTW I've previously got around this problem by using the check box or option button and adding a text box on top. If your option button is big enough you can bring it to the front of the text box and if you click the word, your option button will trigger. Obviously this takes time - and space on the sheet! - but I've found it useful for less complicated sheets.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back