Excel (VBA) Project Ideas - Your advise needed!

MrKabanenko

Dear Group Members,

I have recently joined this group since I have started a University course which requires VBA/SQL programming.

Since I have not prior experience in programming, but have some IT knowledge, I would like to ask for your help.:)

For my project, I have to come up with a system which will use both Excel (VBA) and Access.

• Access will be used as a back-end programme for data storage.
  • Excel needs to be used for multiple business calculations and user interface.
  • Users will be displayed error messages to if they enter wrong information in the userform.

I am thinking of using an online shop idea for the customers to input their details into the user forms in order to register and log-in. There will also be an interface to select and order products (using a list box).

The Excel calculations will perform profit/loss analysis, stock checks (using if analysis) and other calculations (perhaps project future sales based on prior performance if possible).

Could you please let me know what you think of this idea and perhaps suggest any other interesting business projects which will combine Excel (VBA) with Access (SQL)? I have posted in this forum since the majority of the calculations and queries need to be performed in Excel (using VBA).

Your help will be much appreciated.

P.S. This is a university level course and even though the lecturer does not expect me to produce a comprehensive system, it still have to be a which will incorporate calculations and user interface in a business environment.

Kaban

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
This is how I structure most of my business projects, albeit with SQL Server instead of MS Access most of the time. The principle is pretty much the same however.To answer your question, I'm not sure why you'd want to complicate things by putting your GUI on the web - I think the brief is quite clear that this should be in Excel. To that end, a simple resource database might be a good idea. So, employees records would be stored and administered by HR. Each employee would have access to the Excel interface and be able to record sickness & holidays etc, with management being able to see aggregated views of the data for individual workstreams or shifts. I think that nails the business scope, and would be a broad platform for good DB design, SQL skills through ADO connections, hierachical structure management & permissions, together with a business-friendly interface for multiple simultaneous users. There's nothing in there that feels particularly nose-bleed either, although would appear impressive at Uni-Level I would guess.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dukenia71

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back