Read external file properties (date created) using VBA

kiabosh

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me how to read the properties of a saved file using VBA.

Specifically I want to read the date created property of an external file before continuing to import the data from that file into my current workbook.

This will form part of an error trapping procedure - ie not continue with the import if the external file has not been updated within a given period.

This is probably very simple but I've searched the forum for the last hour without any success.

Please be gentle with me, I'm very much a novice with VBA.

Cheers (y)

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Here's one way:

Code:
Sub GetDateCreated()

Dim oFS As Object
    Dim strFilename As String

'Put your filename here
    strFilename = "c:\excel stuff\commandbar info.xls"

'This creates an instance of the MS Scripting Runtime FileSystemObject class
    Set oFS = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

MsgBox strFilename & " was created on " & oFS.GetFile(strFilename).DateCreated

Set oFS = Nothing

End Sub

Upvote 0
This is almost exactly what Im looking for and it works a treat, is there any way to chnge this so that it displays date modified rather than created ?

The CSV Im using is overwritten repeatedly and I need to know the date of the last overwrite, not when the initial file was first created.

Cheers, would appreciate any help as this is driving me nuts - our guys who use this spreadsheet keep forgetting to run a new download from our SOP system - and dont realise they are working with old data.

TIA

Upvote 0
VBA help seems to hint at using LastUpdated

But knowing nothing about VBA I dont know how to get this to work :(

Please help me !!

Upvote 0
Hi,

You can just use the DateLastModified property rather than DateCreated e.g.

Code:
Sub GetDateLastModified()

Dim oFS As Object
    Dim strFilename As String

'Put your filename here
    strFilename = "c:\temp\find files.xls"

'This creates an instance of the MS Scripting Runtime FileSystemObject class
    Set oFS = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

MsgBox strFilename & " was last modified on " & oFS.GetFile(strFilename).Datelastmodified

Set oFS = Nothing

End Sub

Upvote 0
ROFL I just spent about two days trying to get this sorted and the second I suss it out, you reply with exactly the same answer I came to - well someone else came to and I copied from :) Though I guess you can measure your response time in seconds rather than days !!

Many thanks really appreciated !!

Upvote 0
I'm looking for something similar for Win7 in Excel2010. However I need the "DateTaken" date. I'm trying to create a spreadsheet that will let me rename my photos using the date I took the picture (since Creation and Last Modified will not work for me). Can you help me with this?

Since this is an available field under Windows Explorer (in Win7), so I don't understand why I'm having so much difficulty figuring this out.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi

I'm also looking at something similar to this - I can read metadata from a file by using fso code, but is there a way to change this data?

Ideally I want to change the Author data field. Any ideas?

Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back