Open File Faster

waderw

Board Regular
Anyone have any idea on how I can make a Excel file open faster? Probably not possible but just a thought

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Well there is one file that is about 30Mb so it's pretty large. Really just a general question.

Upvote 0
As a general answer, the more powerful your machine, the faster it will open. I inherited a lovely set of 30+MB files. I had to use an equally lovely, PII 333MHz, 32MB RAM laptop to open them with. It easily took 15 minutes to open up and 5 minutes to register a change. Eventually I got upgraded to a PII 600MHz, 64MB RAM desktop. It only took 3 minutes to open up. This is not a good solution.

A better suggestion would be to make sure that Calculation is set to "Manual" (Tools|Options - Calculation Tab, Check the "Manual" box)

I'm sure other people have some more ideas as well though.

Upvote 0
You hit the nail on the head! I am using a PII 450 with 128 ram. I figured it was the pc but was just curious if there was any way of increasing the open/manipulation time.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Hi,

I had files that would take up to 15 min. to
open and the same to close. I read a post here that suggested deleting the EMF files in
the temp.directory, found over 3,000 EMF files deleted and everythings back to normal

James

Upvote 0
Hi Jack,

I don't understand what your saying in your post? I just know after i delete the files w/ the .emf extension my file were back to opening and closing in seconds not minutes.

James

Upvote 0
in the temp file there are many files some times these are needed so stuff runs faster, but they will be rebuilt if missing as ageneral rule

TMP extentionions and emf extention live in the tmp file, but your see dir also dont delete them or whats in them windows put them there and chances they might be needed or in use if you delete this is not so good as that file might be active,

ONLY tmp and emf files delete thema nd the PC will power calculation better speed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slaytonpa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back