min max by date

blueberry

I've got water level data for every 10 or 15 minutes per day. And I'd like to find the min/max range per day and take an average (for roughly 5 months of data collection.) The problem is that there are times when the datalogger did not take readings, so that there isn't a consistent number of readings per day.

Much appreciated!
Isa

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
When the logger didn't get a "reading," is that cell left blank or is there a zero in it's place?

Also, why don't you just use =max(range) The min portion will depend on how the "non readings" are returned.
This message was edited by zacemmel on 2002-05-07 09:43

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, but being the novice I am, I don't know how to set the range to automatically advance for each day. The missing readings from the datalogger are deleted.

...I tried using subtotals by date and I tried to copy the max and min values only; but I ended up copying all values. I couldn't figure out how to copy only the min/max values.

Thank you much.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-07 10:09, blueberry wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but being the novice I am, I don't know how to set the range to automatically advance for each day. The missing readings from the datalogger are deleted.

...I tried using subtotals by date and I tried to copy the max and min values only; but I ended up copying all values. I couldn't figure out how to copy only the min/max values.

Thank you much.

I suspect that you have lots of data. You could create daily descriptive stats like min. max, range, average in a separate worksheet. This requires knowledge of the layout of the worksheet containing the data.

Care to describe that layout and provide a small sample of your data?

Upvote 0
The data I have is pretty simple, but you're right, there's a lot of values. I have water level data of a tidal marsh that experiences 2 high tides and 2 low tides per day, with one of the tides being higher and lower than the other. So, there's a low high tide, high high tide, low low tide and high low tide.

I'm interested in the extreme highs and lows per day and the data is set up with 3 columns. the first column is the date, column 2 is the time, and column 3 is the level of the water. And since the data's pretty extensive (we have a couple years of data every 10 or 15 minutes), I was hoping to figure out how to automate the extreme tide levels for each day and to average them over a lunar cycle. I'm not sure how to set up the min/max equation with a range that will automatically calculate the next day's and the next day's min/max and then average them by month. ...help!

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-07 15:46, blueberry wrote:
The data I have is pretty simple, but you're right, there's a lot of values. I have water level data of a tidal marsh that experiences 2 high tides and 2 low tides per day, with one of the tides being higher and lower than the other. So, there's a low high tide, high high tide, low low tide and high low tide.

I'm interested in the extreme highs and lows per day and the data is set up with 3 columns. the first column is the date, column 2 is the time, and column 3 is the level of the water. And since the data's pretty extensive (we have a couple years of data every 10 or 15 minutes), I was hoping to figure out how to automate the extreme tide levels for each day and to average them over a lunar cycle. I'm not sure how to set up the min/max equation with a range that will automatically calculate the next day's and the next day's min/max and then average them by month. ...help!

You can use functions like DMAX, DMIN, ... etc with the associated criteria of interest.

Regards!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back