Does Application.Goto Reference:=Index accept variables?

Kefkolo

Hi,
I am trying to set up an Index where I can direct my VBA code to copy the correct line to the clipboard so I can paste it elsewhere. When I use a number for the row it works but with a variable it doesn't. (But I need the variable for the For/Next because it will change as the user adds and subtracts).

I'm running Excel 2010 on Win XP. My VBA knowledge is very limited.

The code I am talking about that works is:
Code:
 Application.Goto Reference:="INDEX(PipeConCatActive,1)"
The line that doesn't work gives me the error:"Run-time error '1004' The text you entered is not a valid reference or defined name."
Code:
 Application.Goto Reference:="INDEX(PipeConCatActive,idxNum)"
I don't understand because as part of my debug I'm messaging out the values and they seem accurate.

My data is in the worksheet GraphicsData (currently in U48:U63 - RangeName: PipeConCatActive)

Here is the full code with the line that works commented out (in dark blue):
Code:
[B]Sub CreateTextBox2()[/B]
[I]'[/I]
[I]' CreateTextBox Macro[/I]
[I]'[/I]
[B]Dim varPipeActive As Integer[/B]
[B]Dim Shape1name As String[/B]
[B]Dim idxNum As Integer[/B]
[B]Dim varTextboxLoc As Integer[/B]
[B]Dim varTextboxlocIncr As Integer[/B]

[B]idxNum = 1[/B]
[B]varTextboxLoc = 600[/B]

[COLOR=#40e0d0][I]' *** Used to get the number of rows so I know how many rows to index[/I][/COLOR]
    [B]varPipeActive = Sheets("GraphicsData").Range("V47").Value [/B]  [COLOR=#40e0d0][I]'Get the value[/I][/COLOR]
    [B]MsgBox ("The number of rows is: " & varPipeActive) [/B]         [COLOR=#40e0d0][I]'This is normally commented out. It is just a debug check[/I][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#40e0d0][I]' ***[/I][/COLOR]

[B]Sheets("GraphicsData").Select[/B]                               [COLOR=#40e0d0][I]'Goto the correct worksheet[/I][/COLOR]
    [B]For idxNum = 1 To varPipeActive[/B]                             [COLOR=#40e0d0][I]'Loop through the commands until you reach the number specified in varPipeActive.[/I][/COLOR]
[B]        MsgBox ("IdxNum is: " & idxNum & " and varPipeAcive is: " & varPipeActive)[/B]
[COLOR=#0000ff][I]        'Application.Goto Reference:="INDEX(PipeConcatActive,1)"[/I][/COLOR]
        [B]Application.Goto Reference:="INDEX(PipeConcatActive,idxNum)"[/B] [COLOR=#40e0d0][I]'goto the row in the range "PipeConcatActive" as specified in IdxNum[/I][/COLOR]
        [B]Selection.Copy[/B]                                              [COLOR=#40e0d0][I]'Copy the row's text to the clipboard[/I][/COLOR]
        [B]Sheets("TimeLinePipe").Select[/B]                               [COLOR=#40e0d0][I]'Switch to the other datasheet where the pipeline is at.[/I][/COLOR]
[B]        ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal, 3, 0.75, 381, 16.5) _[/B]
[B]        .Select[/B]                                                [COLOR=#40e0d0] [I]'Sets the size of the textbox[/I][/COLOR]
        [B]ActiveSheet.Paste[/B]                                   [COLOR=#40e0d0][I]'Paste the text into the textbox[/I][/COLOR]
            [B]With Selection.ShapeRange.Fill[/B]                  [COLOR=#40e0d0][I]'I still need to work in this section. I need to set the color depending on the status[/I][/COLOR]
[B]                    .Visible = msoTrue[/B]
[B]                    .ForeColor.RGB = RGB(202, 217, 236)[/B]
[B]                    .Transparency = 0[/B]
[B]                    .Solid[/B]
[B]            End With[/B]

[B]            Selection.Left = 1[/B]
[B]            Selection.Top = varTextboxLoc[/B]
[B]            Range("a1").Select[/B]
[B]            varTextboxLoc = varTextboxLoc + 20[/B]
[B]    Next idxNum[/B]

[B] End Sub[/B]

Thank you for any help you can provide. I'm sure my code is clumsy, but it's the best I could figure out from looking at other code and from what logic I understand. At least this way even if it's not the fastest or most efficient, I have a better understanding of what is going on.
FYI, besides an answer to my problem, I would love any beginner reference to just the syntax of VBA. I come up with syntax I think should work but then that's not the way. A good example is
Rich (BB code):
Selection.Copy
works to copy to the clipboard but
Code:
Selection.Paste
does not. I have to use
Rich (BB code):
 ActiveSheet.Paste
and i don't understand why. Seems like there would be something written that would help better than the Microsoft reference. I keep thinking if I just understood the rules of VBA syntax it would go a long way to being able to use the program.
Best,
Kefkolo

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Ignore this post. I see several errors that I would need to correct first. Can someone tell be how I can delete my own post?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back