Formula Help!

G

I'm trying to figure out a formula that will calculate the following problem: I want to split a certain bill between tenants based on their square footage, but some tenants need to pay double. For example:
I have $200.00 to charge out to tenants A & B, based on the square footage of their leases. Tenant A has 75 square feet, Tenant B has 25 square feet. I can't just charge $2 a square foot; Tenant B needs to pay double what Tenant A pays. Can anyone help?

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
On 2002-02-27 06:01, Anonymous wrote:
I'm trying to figure out a formula that will calculate the following problem: I want to split a certain bill between tenants based on their square footage, but some tenants need to pay double. For example:
I have $200.00 to charge out to tenants A & B, based on the square footage of their leases. Tenant A has 75 square feet, Tenant B has 25 square feet. I can't just charge $2 a square foot; Tenant B needs to pay double what Tenant A pays. Can anyone help?

how about
=A2/3*2 For b
and
=+A2/3*1 For a?

good luck
This message was edited by IML on 2002-02-27 06:27

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-27 06:26, IML wrote:
how about
=A2/3*2 For b
and
=+A2/3*1 For a?

good luck
This message was edited by IML on 2002-02-27 06:27

Lets be somewhat nicer for the smaller tenant:

In B1: =ROUND(A1/3/0.5,0)*0.5

In B2: =A1-B1

where A holds the bill.

Upvote 0
Thanks, both of those work fine, but what about if I change the square footage-how can I build that into the formula?

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-27 06:57, Anonymous wrote:
Thanks, both of those work fine, but what about if I change the square footage-how can I build that into the formula?

What are the criteria for paying by square footage? And in what instances does one person payment become a multiplier of the other?

A clear definition and some examples would help. I think it would also help if I could remember anything from algebra.

If I read this again, I think maybe the larger tenant shouldn't pay double as you suggest, but 3 times the amount, since (s)he has three times the space. Maybe your after???

=A1*(75/100)
=A1*(25/100)
This message was edited by IML on 2002-02-27 07:09

Upvote 0
I actually have a list of several tenants-some are restaurants, some are not. The restaurants are going to pay double the price per square foot than the non-restaurants. But if someone vacates, then I want to be able to take them out without it affecting the formula. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-27 06:57, Anonymous wrote:

How do you mean? Care to elaborate because your initial specs distinguish only between smaller and larger footages in relation to payment?

Upvote 0
How about you list a table such as
{"tenant","true SF","multplier","adjusted";"A",75,1,75;"B",25,2,50;0,0,0,125}
where tenant B is restaurant. And use the adjusted square foot to calculate.

For example,
tenant a would pay $120 (200*75/125)
tenant b would be $80 (200*50/125).

Are these results you would expect?

On 2002-02-27 07:07, Anonymous wrote:
I actually have a list of several tenants-some are restaurants, some are not. The restaurants are going to pay double the price per square foot than the non-restaurants. But if someone vacates, then I want to be able to take them out without it affecting the formula. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
The results are good-thanks. I've never worked with tables before, but I'm going to try to figure it out. I appreciate your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back