Conditional formating

Matti

Hi,

Hope someone can help here - without having to use VB or Macro is it possible to pre-define a different format to cells that contain formulas to distinguish them from cells the contain manually entered values? (for example :each time I enter a formula the font colour will automatically be red and if a value is entered font colour will be black)

Many tks

On 2002-05-08 14:15, Barry Katcher wrote:
I agree with Nimrod that locking cells with formulas is the way to go - prevents users from overwriting them. I also think Brian from Maui has the right idea - changing the format of unprotected cells so that the user knows which cells he/she/it may enter to.

Chris Davison just helped me last week with some code to emulate Lotus' display of unpretected cells with blue font and protected with black. You run the code whenever you open a new workbook and it goes to the first, second and third sheet of the workbook, locks all the cells in each and, when you un-lock any cells, converts the font in those cells to blue. This code could be modified to show all unproted cells with, say, light yellow background (light yellow won't show on a printout), even more helpful to users, since the blue font only shows after you enter something to the un-locked cells.

Let me know if you want this code and I'll paste it onto a reply.

This message was edited by Barry Katcher on 2002-05-08 14:16

Barry !!!

me ?

code ?!?!

I don't think so !!

from memory, I'm pretty sure my method was a conditional formatting formula which you apply to all sheets....

the precise formulae in the condition(s) was looking at whether =cell("protect") gave a TRUE or FALSE result and formatted the font accordingly

it looks as though Nimrod has already covered this though in the posting just above yours

me and code...LOLOL... that's about as likely as Gary Glitter being hired in a creche...

:)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
me ?

code ?!?!

I don't think so !!

Hi Chris:
Let us not be so modest now! ... I read you posting some code the other day -- and by the way why do you think your name begin with C ... one day we will be calling you Chris -- the Code Man.

Regards!
This message was edited by Yogi Anand on 2002-05-11 13:43

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back