Formatting Text Bold within a formula

ken2step

Hi All,

Is it possible to format this text created with formula below as BOLD?

TEXT(5000+Deductible_Choice,"$#,##0")

I would like to make just this part of the formula, which is listed below, to be bold so that it will stand out from the other text created.

="The amount of Covered Expenses needed before Fortis Health pays 100% - "&TEXT(5000+Deductible_Choice,"$#,##0")

Here is the result of the formula and what I want it to look like:

The amount of Covered Expenses needed before Fortis Health pays 100% - $5,500

Cheers to all,
Ken

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
I know this is not exactly it but what I do is take the calculation part and place that in another cell where I format it exactly the way I want. Then I use the camera tool an take a picture of it and place the picture in the cell where I want to ultimately display and apply proper spacing. This was the formula updates as needed and the camera tool will show the updated results in the format you choose.

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem, not sure if the answer will be any different. I have the following statement in a cell:

="Mix for " &F13&" at room temperature."

Is it possible to just make the value coming from F13 appear bold?

So for example to have the result be:

"Mix for 10 minutes at room temperature."

With "10 minutes" being the only thing displayed bold?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Finally, something that worked for me...

I needed to reference values in other cells and also be able to control the text formatting. This is what I first tried which didn't work:
  • Cell A1 = "First Name", in bold
  • Cell B1 = "John", in regular font
  • Cell Z1 = A1&": "&B1

The resulting text was "First Name: John" with everything appearing in regular font, but I needed "First Name:" to be in bold.

To make it work, I linked a text box to a cell (http://www.exceltip.com/st/Linking_a_Cell_to_a_Text_Box/184.html):
  • Cell Z1 = A1 and formatted the cell contents as bold
  • Created a text box, clicked [F2] to link it to Cell B1, selected "No Line" for the text box formatting, and ensured the font was set to "regular".
  • Position the text box.

The only tricky part was making sure the text box fit in the row and the text was aligned with the text below.

Upvote 0
I found one step better.
By inserting a Text box and shapes one can get a pretty flexible arrangement of formatted text and formulas.
Step 1) Enter each variable/formula you would like to use into a cell on the page you want it to display from. [There are several methods to hide these later if needed]
Step 2) Insert a textbox
Step 3) Insert 1 rectangle shape for each variable/formula to display from step 1
Step 4) For each shape, click on the shape, then click in the formula bar, then enter the “=Cell Address” (eg =A1) for the variable/formula in 1 to display.
Step 5) Set the fill and outline of the shapes to blank
Step 6) Enter the static text in the textbox, with spaces for each variable/formula.
Step 7) Group the shapes and textboxes to give this some stability
Options:
For variables/formulas whose length changes:
Instead of a textbox in step 2, use a shape.
Have the text as a formula, and make the spaces in step 6 a function of the length.
For blending with Excel:
Expand a cell to the size of the textbox after step 6.
Set the textbox border to none

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back