Stacked waterfall with multiple series

M1985

Hey,

I am trying to construct a stacked waterfall that supports:
  • Multiple series
  • Can go below zero

I have followed the guide on peltiertech (http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/excel-waterfall-charts-bridge-charts/)
Stacked Columns for Positive and Negative Data and managed to built the chart for one series.
However, when I try to expand the chart and formulas to incorporate several series I run into trouble.

The "difficult" part is that every series can be split on the x-axis and I would assume that I need 4 columns (up>0, up<0, down>0, down<0) for each series.

Case1:
Start 100
Series1 -50
Series2 -75

Here we should have:
Series1 (Down>0):-50
Series2 (Down>0):-50 and (Down<0):-25

Case2:
Start -100
Series1: +150
Series2: 50

Here we should have:
Series1: (Up<0):+100 and (Up>0):+50
Series2: (Up>0):+50

Do you know of any easy way to adapt the formulas from peltiertech to this multiple series example?

Great thanks for any help.

Cheers

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Are the multiple series stacked? Shouldn't be too tricky, as long as the data in each stack has the same sign. Otherwise a single stack will try to increase and decrease, and it is not intuitive trying to display and to read this kind of data.

Upvote 0
Are the multiple series stacked? Shouldn't be too tricky, as long as the data in each stack has the same sign. Otherwise a single stack will try to increase and decrease, and it is not intuitive trying to display and to read this kind of data.

Yes they are stacked, I agree with you shouldnt mix positive values with negative since it would confuse the viewer...

Upvote 0
For a waterfall without stacks, you need a running subtotal for each category. For one with stacks, you need one for each floating bar, which means to the subtotal at the beginning of the category, you also need to include the amounts for the bars floating beneath the one you're currently plotting. I know I'm making it sound so complicated, but I've done it before. I just don't have easy access to the example.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back