Stacked waterfall with multiple series

This is a discussion on Stacked waterfall with multiple series within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hey, I am trying to construct a stacked waterfall that supports: Multiple series Can go below zero I have followed ...

Default Stacked waterfall with multiple series

Hey,

I am trying to construct a stacked waterfall that supports:
    • Multiple series
    • Can go below zero

I have followed the guide on peltiertech (http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/excel-waterfall-charts-bridge-charts/)
    Stacked Columns for Positive and Negative Data and managed to built the chart for one series.
    However, when I try to expand the chart and formulas to incorporate several series I run into trouble.

The "difficult" part is that every series can be split on the x-axis and I would assume that I need 4 columns (up>0, up<0, down>0, down<0) for each series.

Case1:
    Start 100
    Series1 -50
    Series2 -75

Here we should have:
    Series1 (Down>0):-50
    Series2 (Down>0):-50 and (Down<0):-25

Case2:
    Start -100
    Series1: +150
    Series2: 50

Here we should have:
    Series1: (Up<0):+100 and (Up>0):+50
    Series2: (Up>0):+50

Do you know of any easy way to adapt the formulas from peltiertech to this multiple series example?

Great thanks for any help.

Cheers

MrExcel MVP

Default Re: Stacked waterfall with multiple series

Are the multiple series stacked? Shouldn't be too tricky, as long as the data in each stack has the same sign. Otherwise a single stack will try to increase and decrease, and it is not intuitive trying to display and to read this kind of data.
    Jon Peltier
    Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
    Try Peltier Tech Charts for Excel

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Peltier View Post
    Are the multiple series stacked? Shouldn't be too tricky, as long as the data in each stack has the same sign. Otherwise a single stack will try to increase and decrease, and it is not intuitive trying to display and to read this kind of data.
    Yes they are stacked, I agree with you shouldnt mix positive values with negative since it would confuse the viewer...

MrExcel MVP

For a waterfall without stacks, you need a running subtotal for each category. For one with stacks, you need one for each floating bar, which means to the subtotal at the beginning of the category, you also need to include the amounts for the bars floating beneath the one you're currently plotting. I know I'm making it sound so complicated, but I've done it before. I just don't have easy access to the example.
    Jon Peltier
    Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
    Try Peltier Tech Charts for Excel

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others