Export range of cells as jpg

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
According to the Microsoft website, there is no way in Excel to export a range of cells as a jpeg file. It seems to me that this would be a pretty basic function, but then what do I know.

My current solution is to copy the cells to a graphics program (Visio or Paint) and save it from there. That works, but is a bit of a nuisance.

One website suggested installing a graphics printer, such as SnagIt. I happen to have SnagIt already installed, so I tested that method. It works, but I could not figure out a way to get just the selected cells. It adds the worksheet header and footer as if I were printing it on a real printer. I guess that makes sense, but it is not what I want.

I see that there are several third party programs that say they will do the job. Can anyone vouch for any of them? I really don't need another piece of software, but if it works and has no bad side effects (such as spam from the vendor), it might be worth it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

You may also want to search for Stephen Bullen's PastePicture module. (there are examples on this forum)

You can then use the SavePicture function to save the picture directly without using a chart.

Edit: memory like a goldfish - see this thread, for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Rory, Thanks for posting the link to Stephen Bullen's PastePicture. It's much better to eliminate the need for temporary chart, but does that address the desire to have a better resolution for the jpg?

I believe Damon's suggestion to use the camera would not help improve the resolution since the earlier code examples use the same Camera function through VBA.

In puzzling around with this prior to seeing your posts it seems like changing the screen zoom (as Rick suggested) is the easiest way to address this; however the range of output resolution will be limited by zoom having a range from 10-400. This would allow creation of jpg files that use 300 dpi resolution for computers that have a 96 dpi system resolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't understand why zoom would make any different. I don't zoom with my method and Visio is able to create an image with at least 600x600 resolution.

Here's what I do:

1. Open Visio. I'm using Visio 2003.
  2. Select the cells in Excel.
  3. Copy to the clipboard (Ctrl-C)
  4. Switch to Visio | Paste Special (Edit | Paste Special).
  5. Select an output format. I usually use Picture (Enhanced Metafile).
  6. Click OK and the image appears on the Visio page.
  7. With the image selected, Save As (File | Save As...).
  8. Change the Save As type to JPEG, navigate to the correct folder, choose a filename, and click Save.
  9. The Visio JPG Output Options dialog pops up.
  10. Set the Quality to 100% (it defaults to 75%).
  11. Set the resolution. I usually choose Printer, which is 600x600.
  12. Set the size. I usually choose Source, which for this example is 4.802 x 3.188.
  13. Click OK.

It seems to me that an image with good resolution is on the clipboard without any zooming or anything. Can't VBA get at it and do what Visio does?

Of course, this should have been built into Excel years ago (Grrrrrrr). Can't they have the Visio guys come over to the Excel group and teach them how or is this another nerdy, testosterone-besotted turf battle? (sigh)

Upvote 0
Jennifer, I agree that's not a very desirable approach. Just to explain why that works that way... the Camera tool which can be called through VBA using the Range.CopyPicture method, appears to use the current resolution of the screen.

So for most people's settings, if your screen is zoomed to 100% you'll get a 96 dpi image saved to the clipboard. In actuality, the bitmap doesn't have any dpi, it just has X pixels wide by Y pixels high. The dpi can be calculated in relation to the number of pixels being displayed on the screen. If you zoom your image to 300% and use the earlier code example, you'll see that this gives you roughly 300 dpi.

Visio is using a different process to capture the screen, so it's resolution isn't limited in the same way that the Camera tool appears to be.

So a better VBA solution would use a different method to capture the image to the clipboard than the Camera. The code Rory referenced uses a Windows API OleCreatePictureIndirect. I haven't looked into this yet, but that might capture the image at a higher resolution than the Camera.

Can't they have the Visio guys come over to the Excel group and teach them how or is this another nerdy, testosterone-besotted turf battle? (sigh)

:LOL: What makes you think those aren't women developers? You're from Silicon Valley!

Upvote 0
Visio is using a different process to capture the screen, so it's resolution isn't limited in the same way that the Camera tool appears to be.

That's my point. In my method, Visio isn't doing the screen capture, Excel is. Visio is just using whatever is on the clipboard. No?
So a better VBA solution would use a different method to capture the image to the clipboard than the Camera. The code Rory referenced uses a Windows API OleCreatePictureIndirect. I haven't looked into this yet, but that might capture the image at a higher resolution than the Camera.
Just plain old copy (Ctrl-C) seems to be capturing enough resolution. I'm not using the camera.

:LOL: What makes you think those aren't women developers? You're from Silicon Valley!

I'm sure a few of them are. Otherwise, it would be much worse. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Couple comments:

1. JPG is not the appropriate format for screenshots. Use PNG.

2. Copy picture of selected range as picture (xlPicture) not as bitmap (xlBitmap).

3. Chart object has chart area border around pasted picture, which should be removed.

4. Copied range has extra pixel-wide blank edge at right and bottom. In addition, cell boundaries may occasionally be too wide if chart object is exact size as picture. So make new chart object 2 pixels wider than range, paste picture of range, then move picture right and down to center it.

Code:
Sub ExportRangeToPNG()
  '--exports selected range to png file
  '  jpg is not appropriate format for this output
  '  default filename is address of selected range
  '  based on code example posted at:
  '     http://www.emoticode.net/visual-basic/vba-export-excel-range-as-image-and-save-as-file.html
  '  modified at
  '     http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/751500-export-range-cells-jpg.html#post3691601
  '  further refined by Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.

Dim vFilePath As Variant
  Dim rSelection As Range
  Dim sDefaultName As String

If TypeName(Selection) <> "Range" Then
    MsgBox "Selection is not a range of cells."
    Exit Sub
  End If

Set rSelection = Selection

sDefaultName = Replace(rSelection.Address(0, 0, xlA1, 1), ":", "to") & ".png"
  vFilePath = Application.GetSaveAsFilename( _
      InitialFileName:=sDefaultName, _
      FileFilter:="Portable network Graphics (*.png), *.png", _
      Title:="Save As")

'--exit if cancelled by user
  If vFilePath = False Then Exit Sub

'-- copy selected range as picture (not as bitmap)
  rSelection.CopyPicture Appearance:=xlScreen, Format:=xlPicture

'--Create an empty chart, slightly larger than exact size of range copied
  With ActiveSheet.ChartObjects.Add( _
      Left:=rSelection.Left, Top:=rSelection.Top, _
      Width:=rSelection.Width + 2, Height:=rSelection.Height + 2)

With .Chart
      ' clean up chart
      .ChartArea.Format.Line.Visible = msoFalse

' paste and position picture
      .Paste
      With .Pictures(1)
        .Left = .Left + 2
        .Top = .Top + 2
      End With

' export
      .Export CStr(vFilePath)
    End With

' remove no-longer-needed chart
    .Delete
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Couple comments:

1. JPG is not the appropriate format for screenshots. Use PNG.

2. Copy picture of selected range as picture (xlPicture) not as bitmap (xlBitmap).

3. Chart object has chart area border around pasted picture, which should be removed.

4. Copied range has extra pixel-wide blank edge at right and bottom. In addition, cell boundaries may occasionally be too wide if chart object is exact size as picture. So make new chart object 2 pixels wider than range, paste picture of range, then move picture right and down to center it.

Jon,

This sub works, but the result is about the same as for the JPG sub. The file is about half the size (13 KB vs 24 KB). The JPG image was fuzzier, but the PNG image was broken up a little.

I ran a bunch of tests where I copied the cells to Visio using Paste Special as EMF, then saving from Visio in various formats. For those formats where Visio allowed me to choose the output resolution, all of the 96x96 outputs looked slightly fuzzy and were about the same. All of the 600x600 outputs were as clear as when printing directly from Excel.

Here's the table of results:

Output
FormatResSizeFile SizeQualityFilename
VisioJPG96x96 (Source)Source24 KBFuzzyVisio EMF Source (96x96) Source 75%.jpg
VisioJPG96x96 (Source)Source77 KBFuzzyVisio EMF Source (96x96) Source 100%.jpg
VisioJPG600x600 (Printer)Source316 KBClearVisio EMF Printer (600x600) Source 75%.jpg
VisioJPG600x600 (Printer)Source888 KBClearVisio EMF Printer (600x600) Source 100%.jpg
VisioJPG1200x1200 (Custom)Source2 MBClearVisio EMF Custom (1200x1200) Source 100%.jpg
VisioPNG96x96 (Source)Source10 KBFuzzyVisio EMF Source (96x96) Source.png
VisioPNG600x600 (Printer)Source148 KBClearVisio EMF Printer (600x600) Source.png
VisioPNG1200x1200 (Custom)Source456 KBClearVisio EMF Custom (1200x1200) Source.png
VisioEMF????25 KBClearVisio EMF.emf
VisioGIF96x96 (Source)Source9 KBFuzzyVisio EMF Source (96x96) Source.gif
VisioGIF600x600 (Printer)Source90 KBClearVisio EMF Printer (600x600) Source.gif
VisioGIF1200x1200 (Custom)Source211 KBClearVisio EMF Custom (1200x1200) Source.gif
Visio96x96 (Source)Source320 KBFuzzyVisio EMF Source (96x96) Source.bmp
Visio600x600 (Printer)Source12.5 MBClearVisio EMF Printer (600x600) Source.bmp
Visio1200x1200 (Custom)Source50 MBClearVisio EMF Custom (1200x1200) Source.bmp
SnagItPNG????53 KBClearExcel, print to SnagIt (cropped).png
SubJPG??--24 KBFuzzyExportJPG Sub.jpg
SubPNG??--13 KBBroken linesExportPNG Sub.png
n/a------11 KBExport Test.xlsx
n/a------40 KBExport test.vsd
Excel------48 KBExcel print file

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Jon, I didn't realize how much clearer non-photo content can be when saved to .png.

However, at low resolutions (96 bpi/ppi), the lines can break up in the PNG files. Then the JPG files look a little better (less bad).

At high resolutions (600+), both formats look good, but the PNG files are much smaller.

I found another solution. I can print from Excel to a graphics printer. I tested it with SnagIt and was able to capture a PNG file that was as good as anything saved from Visio. It's not much more convenient and very slow.

It would sure be great to have a subroutine that outputs at a higher (or, better yet, settable) resolution.

Upvote 0
You can also copy the chart into PowerPoint, presumably as a picture, then from PowerPoint save it as an image file. I don't know what the quality is like, and I don't know if you can set resolution, but I suspect not. For my own purposes, the png export from the code I posted was adequate.

Using PowerPoint might be more convenient than using SnagIt or another third-party program, since you can in principle automate it all using VBA. I often use IrfanView for this kind of thing. It's manual, not VBA, but it's very quick. Actually, I use a combination of SnagIt, IrfanView, and Microsoft Paint (really!), but more IrfanView and less SnagIt lately.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back