VBA: Selecting only rows with data in a range

forrad

Hello all,

I am working on a spreadsheet, in which I have written a macro whereby it selects and cuts data within a defined range (in this case "K1:T1001") and pastes this to the first empty row in column A. Here is the specific line used in this macro:

If Not IsEmpty(MyCell) Then
ActiveSheet.Range("K1:T1001").Cut Destination:=ActiveSheet.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(2)
End If

I would like to use this macro for other similar spreadsheets where the range of rows to be selected may differ (however, the columns will always be K:T). I'm afraid I have reached my limit of knowledge with VBA to know how to select only cells containing data within this range.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Welcome to the Board!

The first thing you need to figure out is which column you can use to determine where the data ends (that is, identify a column that will always be populated if a row has data).

You can then use that row to find that last row with data in it dynamically like this (using column K in this example):
Code:
LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count,"K").End(xlUp).Row
Then, you can dynamically set your range like this:
Code:
Range("K1:T" & LastRow)

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply, seems a promising start.

When I run this macro on the original spreadsheet, all seems well (I used column 'R' as the count indicator, as they is usually an extra row containing formula). Therefore, the line I adapted from your suggestion was like this:

Code:
LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "R").End(x1Up).Row

However, when I try to use this macro with other sheets, I receive a 'Run-time error 1004, Application defined or User defined error' message with the above line.

I have a copied my macro in full so as to give you a better idea of what it is I am trying to do with it.

Code:
 Sub ShiftCells()
    Select Case MsgBox("Can't Undo this Action. " & _
                       "Save Workbook First?", vbYesNoCancel)
        Case Is = vbYes
        ThisWorkbook.Save

Case Is = vbCancel
        Exit Sub
    End Select

Dim MyRange As Range
    Dim MyCell As Range

Set MyRange = ActiveSheet.Range("K:T")
    For Each MyCell In MyRange

If Not IsEmpty(MyCell) Then
        ActiveSheet.Range("K1:T" & LastRow).Cut Destination:=ActiveSheet.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(2)
    End If

For Each Column In Range("K:T").Rows
            If WorksheetFunction.CountA(Range("K:T").EntireColumn) = 0 Then
                Range("K:T").EntireColumn.Delete
            End If
    Next Column

Next MyCell

End Sub

Many thanks for your help again, it is most appreciated

Upvote 0
It should be "xlUp", not "x1Up".
I think the font being used by the board when using code tags is making it look like a number "1" instead of a lower case "L".

Upvote 0
This is wrong:

Code:
            End If
    Next Column

Why do you want to test if the columns are empty? They should be empty because you have cut all the data from them. Just delete them all at once.

Upvote 0
This is wrong:

Code:
            End If
    Next Column

Why do you want to test if the columns are empty? They should be empty because you have cut all the data from them. Just delete them all at once.

I put this part in as there are empty columns ("B" & "D") that are blank by design and are necessary. I therefore have tried to avoid including anything that deletes ALL blank columns and only the specific columns to be cut and pasted. I'm sure my basic VBA knowledge means that it is a clumsy way to go about it, but that is the reasoning behind it.

Essentially, it is data produced by my company's payroll system that generates 10 columns of data repeated for as many clients as are included in the month's payroll (So the data in column 'A' is exactly the same as in column 'K', 'C' & 'M' and so forth). The purpose of the macro is to 'clean up' the data, converting it into one long list of 10 columns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Remove the "For Each" and the "IF" statements and just delete columns K to T:

Code:

Upvote 0
Remove the "For Each" and the "IF" statements and just delete columns K to T:

Code:

Thanks for the suggestions in cleaning up the macro, and sorry for the confusion with the font, was most embarrassing on my part.

This issue now is that it will not loop. I can run the macro as many times as I want, and it will perform the function of cutting, pasting and deleting empty columns once, but only once. I am stratching my head as to why it loops on the original worksheet, but when applied to another, the loops seemingly breaks.

Upvote 0
You don't really need to loop:
Code:
ActiveSheet.Range("K1:T"&LastRow).Cut Destination:=ActiveSheet.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(2)

Upvote 0
It has to loop as there are several blocks of data that need to be sorted into one series of continuous rows. So the idea of the macro is to cut and paste the data in columns K-T, delete the empty columns so the next block moves into that range, and repeat the process until the range is empty.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back