adding more info to x-axis of chart

phillycarol

I have a line chart that shows time (x-axis) vs. money (y-axis). The time axis shows months numbered from 1 to 60. I would like to add some kind of title or text field below the x-axis that shows that months 1 to 12 are year 2002, months 13 to 24 are year 2003, etc. I tried using a text box but although it looks good on the screen, it is skewed when printed.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
In a column to the left on of your month numbers enter 2002 adjacent to the cell containing 1, 2003 adjacent to cell contains 13, etc.

After selecting your chart choose the Chart | Source Data... menu command. On the Series tab enter the cell range for the above values (e.g., A1:B60) in the "Category (X) axis labels:" field.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help! I was able to do as you said, but by doing so the axis changes. Instead of showing labels on every month, it now shows labels on every 4 months. I'll play around with it and figure something out. It should be easier now that I know how to do it. :)

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-09 05:55, phillycarol wrote:
Thanks for the help! I was able to do as you said, but by doing so the axis changes. Instead of showing labels on every month, it now shows labels on every 4 months. I'll play around with it and figure something out. It should be easier now that I know how to do it. :)

You might need to reduce your font size to get the desired effect.

Upvote 0
This tip is still relevant in 2013. I like the effect I got under the current versionof Excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back