Add numbers of rows according to cell value

CutandPaste01

I've got a spreadsheet where the user enters information about an organisation including one cell where they enter the total number of employees. This is on one worksheet "Organisation"
I then want them to enter information about each employee on another Worksheet "Employees". This information will be in rows and only numbers will be stored:
Employee1:Info1:Info2:Info3
Employee2:Ino1:Info2:Info3
and so on.

At the bottom of each column I want to add the totals. I don't need to pull in any info about the employee as the user can overtype Employee1 etc.

What I want to do is after entering the number of employees in the cell I want the same number of rows to be automatically generated so that there is a row for each employee. This could be done from a button.

I'm totally new to Excel VBA so any help would be appreciated!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
No need for a button...Try the following:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim myRw As Long
myRw = 1 'change this row number where you prefer insert (repost if variable)
'Set range below for range where # employees will be entered
On Error GoTo 1 'error trapper, in case of text entry
If Not Intersect(Target, [a3:a65536]) Is Nothing Then _
    Sheets("Employees").Rows(myRw).Resize(Target.Value).Insert
1: End Sub

See the notes after the '. Right-click on your 'organisation' sheet and paste this code. If you enter a number in the cell range a3:a65536, you'll get new rows in your 'employees' sheet equal to the value entered. Hope this helps.

This message was edited by NateO on 2002-05-08 20:02

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to have a go at this. How would I modify your code if I wanted to ensure that:
A) Say I had a formula in one of the columns how can I get that to be copied as well (just row totals).
B)Ensure that a column total at the bottom of each column recalculated with the right cells (including all the new ones)?.

I can post a demo spreadsheet if required.

Many thanks,
CutandPaste01

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-09 00:30, CutandPaste01 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to have a go at this. How would I modify your code if I wanted to ensure that:
A) Say I had a formula in one of the columns how can I get that to be copied as well (just row totals).
B)Ensure that a column total at the bottom of each column recalculated with the right cells (including all the new ones)?.

I can post a demo spreadsheet if required.

Many thanks,
CutandPaste01

Let me see.

A) Where is the formula (sheet and range)? And where are you copying it to (sheet & range)?

B) Make sure the row to perform your insert is one row above your sum functions. You'll probably want a blank row (reduce height or hide) in between your data and the sum functions. The sum function will automatically update. I think they will recalc. automatically, if not, stick:

Code:
calculate
At the very end of this procedure, just above end sub.

Hope this helps.

This message was edited by NateO on 2002-05-09 14:21

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back