Advance Fileter

elgringo56

OK, once again my ignorance shows. I wish to filter/copy a list for the value MM1 located in one of the columns. I do not want the filter to display or find MM10, MM11, MM12........MM19. I have tried clicking on unique records only, thats doesn't do it. Is there any way to make what I want happen?

On 2002-05-08 15:30, elgringo56 wrote:
Oh, I think I do understand it. The "=MM1" portion says that it is a unique entry and the first = says it must equal that entry exact. would this be correct thinking? Thanks greatly guys for the help

Not quite. You're entering a formula that produces a text string, "=MM1". So the first = says, "this is a formula".

If this notion "bothers" you could also type...

'=MM1

In an criteria range Excel treats "MM1" differently than "=MM1". The later means exactly "MM1" while the former is equivalent to "MM1*" and means begins with "MM1".
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-05-08 15:42

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
doesn't bother me, Mark. Trying to learn as I go here and understanding what something is helps me kinda remember it. I really do apreaciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-08 15:40, Mark W. wrote:
Oh, I think I do understand it. The "=MM1" portion says that it is a unique entry and the first = says it must equal that entry exact. would this be correct thinking? Thanks greatly guys for the help

Not quite. You're entering a formula that produces a text string, "=MM1". So the first = says, "this is a formula".

'=MM1

In an criteria range Excel treats "MM1" differently than "=MM1". The later means exactly "MM1" while the former is equivalent to "MM1*" and means begins with "MM1".

Just to make sure: You are not implying that the criteria as I posted will get the rows with values like MM10, are you?

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-08 15:46, Aladin Akyurek wrote:
On 2002-05-08 15:40, Mark W. wrote:

'=MM1

Just to make sure: You are not implying that the criteria as I posted will get the rows with values like MM10, are you?

No sir! I recognized that elgringo56 was using a traditional criteria and was providing a solution for that configuration. No need to switch to computed criteria.

Upvote 0
If you see this mark, How can I, under macro contro get the '= or the ="=XXX" into my criteria? This has me stumped, also

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-08 15:53, elgringo56 wrote:
If you see this mark, How can I, under macro contro get the '= or the ="=XXX" into my criteria? This has me stumped, also

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=""=MM1"""

Upvote 0
Ok, but here is my problem. I have a list of inventory items, each item has a code such as MM1, the list can be 10000 items deep. Operator keys in that he is looking for MM1. under macro control, I have to append the '= to the MM1, which seems to work well. so far, I havn't figured out how to do that. Nothing I have tried seems to work.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-08 16:03, elgringo56 wrote:
Ok, but here is my problem. I have a list of inventory items, each item has a code such as MM1, the list can be 10000 items deep. Operator keys in that he is looking for MM1. under macro control, I have to append the '= to the MM1, which seems to work well. so far, I havn't figured out how to do that. Nothing I have tried seems to work.

Here's where I "run dry". I'm not a VBA wizard. I assume that once choosen "MM1" will be stored in a variable. Repost and explicitly ask how to replace "MM1" in the statement...

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=""=MM1"""

...with the contents of a variable.

Upvote 0
Try the following code:

Code:
Sub F_and_R()
Dim cl As Range, n As String
STerm = InputBox("Enter your Search Term")
For Each cl In [a1:a10000] 'enter your range here
If cl.Value<> "" And _
Application.WorksheetFunction.IsText(cl.Value) Then
    n = cl.Value
    If Left(n, 3) = STerm Then _
        cl.Value = "=" & n
End If
Next cl
End Sub

This takes the first 3 letters of each cell in your range (a1:a10000 above) and if they equal the inputbox text, an equal sign will be inserted as the first character. It will overwrite formulae if the first 3 characters in the solution equal the inputbox.

Change a1:a10000 to your target range. Hope this helps.

This message was edited by nateo on 2002-05-08 19:45

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back