Advance Fileter

elgringo56

OK, once again my ignorance shows. I wish to filter/copy a list for the value MM1 located in one of the columns. I do not want the filter to display or find MM10, MM11, MM12........MM19. I have tried clicking on unique records only, thats doesn't do it. Is there any way to make what I want happen?

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
On 2002-05-08 14:57, elgringo56 wrote:
OK, once again my ignorance shows. I wish to filter/copy a list for the value MM1 located in one of the columns. I do not want the filter to display or find MM10, MM11, MM12........MM19. I have tried clicking on unique records only, thats doesn't do it. Is there any way to make what I want happen?

I assume you're using an Advanced AutoFilter with a Criteria. I'm I correct?

Upvote 0
Yes, the criteria is just two cells, the first gives the header name and the second the value MM1. the column is up to 10000 cells long and can contain many MM1XX entries but I only want the one, MM1. I am pulling my hair out

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-08 14:57, elgringo56 wrote:

Lets say that A4: houses the following sample;

{"field1","field2";
"MM10","q";
"MM11","s";
"MM1","c";
"MM19","v"}

Format row 4 distinctively, eg., in bold and italic.

In A2 enter:

=A5="MM1"

Activate A5.
Activate Data|Filter|Advanced Filter.

Enter $A$1:$A$2 for "Criteria range".

Fill in the rest as it suits.
This message was edited by Aladin Akyurek on 2002-05-08 15:12

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-08 15:09, elgringo56 wrote:
Yes, the criteria is just two cells, the first gives the header name and the second the value MM1. the column is up to 10000 cells long and can contain many MM1XX entries but I only want the one, MM1. I am pulling my hair out

Use ="=MM1" in your criteria instead of "MM1".

Upvote 0
Hmmmmm, I dont mean to sound totally ignorant, but what you gave me does not compute in my pea brain. Looks like all greek to me. thank you for trying, though. Guess I will never figure this stuff out.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-08 15:20, elgringo56 wrote:
Hmmmmm, I dont mean to sound totally ignorant, but what you gave me does not compute in my pea brain. Looks like all greek to me. thank you for trying, though. Guess I will never figure this stuff out.

Are you referring to the procedure I (partly) described and want me to fill in in more detail?

Upvote 0
Oh, I think I do understand it. The "=MM1" portion says that it is a unique entry and the first = says it must equal that entry exact. would this be correct thinking? Thanks greatly guys for the help

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-08 15:26, elgringo56 wrote:
Yes, Aladin, and Mark, that ="=MM1" worked, althought I dont know why

So you're done then?

BTW,

(1)

{"field1";"=MM1"}

has the same effect as

(2)

{"";=A5="MM1"}

in my formulation of the criteria. The parser for the Advanced Filter interprets (1) as a test for the values under "field1" and (2) as a test for all values in A from A5 on.

Aladin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back