Disable copy function

dsnbld

Board Regular
Would like to know if it's possible to write code in a workbook to disable the copy function while veiwing the workbook.

if you're covering all the bases, what about preventing copying via the use of an external reference? eg. =[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
On 2002-05-08 21:36, anno wrote:
if you're covering all the bases, what about preventing copying via the use of an external reference? eg. =[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1

should be All bases for commandbars.......

Upvote 0
Anno --

Actually it's possible to decrease the success of that paste link formula approach by encrypting the source file data through a VB application. Or, for a simpler workaround, save the file as a blank template in a dummy file path, or keep it stored in an undisclosed path.

I agree with the premise of your follow-up: no such thing as absolute security.

Rumor has it that Thomas Jefferson's actual quote was, "The price of Excel mastery is eternal vigilance."

Upvote 0
Yes, I do need to cover all the bases. Thanks guys.
I'm trying to devote more time learning the VB side of Excel, so I may start asking a few more questions. Just been hanging around reading to this point.
Have a little experience with Access, but that's different animal... My goal here is to protect a template of mine from being too easily duplicated. Am I on the right track or do I need to take another route? Or do I just need to cool it and accept the risk?

Upvote 0
I answered my last question after working with Tom and Ivan's codes. I don't know you two, but I love you :^)
Thanks everybody for your time, it's sincerely appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back