ROUNDUP

NOCHOKE

I am pretty much a novice at this, so if you can and would like to help, please keep your suggestions simple... You've heard of Napolean's Idiot, right? btw, I am using Office 97.

So, what I am trying to do is to get the result of a formula to roundup. I am the secretary for a golf league and want my spreadsheet to compute players' handicaps. Our league uses a simple 80% of the difference between par and your score (rounded up to the next whole number) as the handicap.

Say a player shoots a 39, and par is 36, the difference is 3. 80% of 3 is 2.4. The formula I use to get to the 2.4 is:

=(A1-36)*80%

A1 is the score the player shot. How do I get Excel to round this result up to the next whole number?

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
On 2002-05-08 16:15, NOCHOKE wrote:
I am pretty much a novice at this, so if you can and would like to help, please keep your suggestions simple... You've heard of Napolean's Idiot, right? btw, I am using Office 97.

So, what I am trying to do is to get the result of a formula to roundup. I am the secretary for a golf league and want my spreadsheet to compute players' handicaps. Our league uses a simple 80% of the difference between par and your score (rounded up to the next whole number) as the handicap.

Say a player shoots a 39, and par is 36, the difference is 3. 80% of 3 is 2.4. The formula I use to get to the 2.4 is:

=(A1-36)*80%

A1 is the score the player shot. How do I get Excel to round this result up to the next whole number?

=ROUNDUP((A1-36)*80%,0) ?

Upvote 0
Ok, lets take it another step or two farther... Say that in week 2, the player shoots a 43. Currently I am manually adding the two rounds together, subtracting par then multiplying the result by 80% and rounding up.

=ROUNDUP((A1-36)*80%,0) worked for week one.

Week two's score would be in B1 and par would now be 72 instead of 36. What would that formula be? And then week 3 (in C1), and week 4 (in D1)...

After week 4, we go to a handicap based on the same 80% as noted above, except that we use the last four rounds only. What would my formula be for the rest of the season?
This message was edited by NOCHOKE on 2002-05-08 16:46

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-08 16:45, NOCHOKE wrote:
Ok, lets take it another step or two farther... Say that in week 2, the player shoots a 43. Currently I am manually adding the two rounds together, subtracting par then multiplying the result by 80% and rounding up.

Week two's score would be in B1 and par would now be 72 instead of 36. What would that formula be? And then week 3 (in C1), and week 4 (in D1)...

After week 4, we go to a handicap based on the same 80% as noted above, except that we use the last four rounds only. What would my formula be for the rest of the season?

Just guessing and the guess involves the first part:

=ROUNDUP((SUM(A1:D1)-COUNT(A1:D1)*36)*80%,0)

Is that what you want?

Upvote 0
Enter the formula...

=ROUNDUP((SUM(OFFSET(A1,,-MIN(3,COLUMN()-1),,MIN(4,COLUMN())))-MIN(4,COLUMN())*36)*80%,0)

...into cell A2 and fill right
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-05-08 17:17

Upvote 0
Aladin, I couldn't get yours to work.

Mark, With yours I get the right result in A2, but it does not change when I add test figures in B1, C1, D1, etc. What am I missing?

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-08 16:45, NOCHOKE wrote:

Hi NOCHOKE:
If I understood you correctly, try the following formula in a cell in column A and then replicate it to the right in columns B, C, and D

=ROUNDUP((SUM($A1:A1)-COLUMN()*36)*0.8,0)

If I did not understand you correctly the above formula may not work -- in that case my apoligies.

Regards!

Upvote 0

On 2002-05-08 19:37, NOCHOKE wrote:
Aladin, I couldn't get yours to work.

Mine was not meant to be copied. If you want to have it each week, then:

In A2 enter and copy across to D2:

=ROUNDUP((SUM($A$1:A1)-COUNT($A$1:A1)*36)*80%,0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back