Non-blank cell extract into single column list

chongbird

Hi

First time poster, and an average (at best) excel user.

I have a table (see below) that lists jobs and who were the corresponding workers . As you would appreciate, some names appear across multiple jobs.

I would like to create (in a new worksheet called Backdata) a single column list that extracts non-blank cells and only unique text (no duplicates). Is this possible?

FGHIJ
JobWorker 1Worker 2Worker 3Worker 4
CR003Joe TimSimon
DE004Simon
DF051Jay
CR002MinnieJoe
CR023Jack
DE123Fred
DE345LisaFredSimonJoe
DF657Minnie
CR005Minnie
DE456Lisa
DF567Mike
DE304MikeJoe
CR567AngusJoeLisaSimon

<tbody>
</tbody>

I am using Excel for Max 2008 so unfortunately cannot do VBA macro. Is it possible to achieve this via a formula? Cheers

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Welcome to MrExcel.

Could you show us what the list you want should look like give the example table posted?

Matty

Upvote 0
Hi Matty,

Thanks for the reply. I want on a separate worksheet (called Backdata) a list of unique worker names. Ideally it would look something like this.

A
Unique Worker list
Joe
Tim
Simon
Jay
Minnie
Jack
Fred
Lisa
Mike

<tbody>
</tbody>
Angus

The original data is on a worksheet called "Master". On this worksheet, every day I am adding additional rows of new jobs and assigning workers names to the jobs. I have about 3000 rows of jobs.

It would be great if I could get a unique list of all the workers, which dynamically updates every time I add a new job with a new worker to the Master worksheet. I suspect it may be possible with an ISERR and INDEX formula, but I haven't quite got my head around these yet and would appreciate some help!

Cheers

Upvote 0
M1 must be left empty.

M2, control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:
Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(INDEX(tbl_text,MIN(IF(COUNTIF($M$1:M1,tbl_text&"")=0,
  ROW(tbl_text)-MIN(ROW(tbl_text))+1)),MATCH(0,COUNTIF($M$1:M1,INDEX(tbl_text,
  MIN(IF(COUNTIF($M$1:M1, tbl_text&"")=0,ROW(tbl_text)-MIN(ROW(tbl_text))+1)),0)),0)),"")

The name tbl_text stands for G2:J14. Note that the definition can be made dynamic. As the name also implies, the data in G2:J14 is expected to be text with length > 0.

Source. Unique distinct values from multiple columns using array formula | Get Digital Help - Microsoft Excel resource
The basic MATCH/COUNTIF has been attributed to Eero (a contributor at the now defunct MS newsgroups). I removed the area argument in the INDEX calls and "textified" tbl_text further with adding the &"" bit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back