Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Formatting with decimal alignment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a column of numbers displayed to, say, 2 decimal places. I would like to "centre" the numbers in the column but at the same time maintain the alignment of the decimal points. This is useful if the column heading is significantly wider than the largest number displayed. One way might be to add a column to the right of the target column, centre the heading across the two columns and then adjust the two column widths to taste. Would it be possible to set up a macro to adjust the format. I'd be interested in your comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not just reduce the width of your heading so that it is split over more than one line.

Pressing Alt+Enter creates a new line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your reply.

Following your solution I would have to split some of the longer words in the heading which I don't want to do.

To me there are three obvious solutions. One is to do as I suggested in my original posting and another is to create a custom format for the column which contains enough spacing characters to "centre" all the numbers in the column or do as you suggest.

I suppose what I am asking is, is there some facility in Excel that I'm not aware of that allows one to specify where in a column the decimal point should be placed (ie similar to the decimal tab in Word)or do I have to write a macro to do it?

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another option would be to change the alignment format to "wrap text" for the cell with the column heading to allow and then adjust the height of that row. You may also want to change the vertical alignment to "bottom".

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mrexcel.com/board/viewtop...c=7376&forum=2

Kristel had this problem the other day too, whilst the above link doesn't add much, you may want to give her a shout to see if she solved it

:: Pharma Z - Family drugstore ::

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-05-09 03:10, JChrisHardy wrote:
    I have a column of numbers displayed to, say, 2 decimal places. I would like to "centre" the numbers in the column but at the same time maintain the alignment of the decimal points. This is useful if the column heading is significantly wider than the largest number displayed. One way might be to add a column to the right of the target column, centre the heading across the two columns and then adjust the two column widths to taste. Would it be possible to set up a macro to adjust the format. I'd be interested in your comments.
    Hi JChrisHardy:
    If I understand you correctly, what you are really looking for is empty spaces padded to the right of the numbers. So this is what you might want to try

Custom format the numbers as 0.00~~~
    where ~ represents the space character (use the space bar to get the space character -- don't put the ~ there). If this works for you adjust the number of space characters you want to the right to your satisfaction.

Please post back if it works for you ... otherwise explain a little further and let us take it from there.

Regards!

Regards!

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.
    Energy Efficient Building Network LLC
    www.energyefficientbuild.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys
    Thanks for all you help.