I can't unhide rows?

Barry Katcher

Hi, Peoples.

I have a workbook in which I can't unhide 10 hidden rows (91 thru 100). The workbook and worksheet are unprotected. There is no VBA code in the workbook. Does anyone know why this may be happening? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Barry

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.
Someone had sent me a file with a hidden filter row, that then hid all the filtered rows. For some reason, before I cleared the filter, I couldn't unhide the #$%! filtering row.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the 'unfreeze' suggestion -- that worked for me!! Seems as though when someone hands off a workbook to me there's always a surprise!

Upvote 0
I have experienced the same issue, but with rows 1 and 2 in Excel 2013. There was data there, other pages in the workbook linked to those rows were displaying the data, so I knew nothing was deleted. All of the "tricks" I saw about typing A1 in the name box or going through the F5 key did nothing.

What does work: go to View on the ribbon and select Page Layout. Now everything is visible. Highlight rows 1 and 2 (or include 3 just to be safe), right-click on them and select Unhide. Return to Normal view, or any other view, and the hidden data will be present.

Upvote 0
I had this problem with excel *2010*. VERY. VERY. VERY. ANNOYING. Here's what I did to fix it.

1. Go to a cell in the hidden row:

Type (CTRL-G)

A "Go To" window will open.

There will be a "Reference" field in that window.

Enter any cell reference from the "hidden" row - (e.g. a97 if row 97 is hidden).

Note: you will STILL not SEE the row. But you will be IN the hidden row. This is key.

2. Using the menu (toolbar). Select Home tab, and in the "Cells" area, click on"Format", Autofit Row Height.

Presto. Row appeared.
Note:

I had a WHOLE LOT OF HIDDEN ROWS. You can select multiple rows by simply entering a range reference (e.g. a97:a109) instead of a single cell reference. That worked as well.​

I have no idea how the rows got hidden. But I suspect I had copied and pasted from a worksheet that I had hidden the rows in. Anyway. Luckily I discoverd the hidden rows. It could have been very problematic for me if I had not. Even more lucky that I was able to figure out how to unhide them.

I have worked with Microsoft products for decades. Microsoft makes a lot of things that should be easy....hard. It's the basic reason I dislike their products. And back in the day, when I'd actually call their tech support (apparently outsourced) it was useless. I'd pay $50 to hear some level-1 tech flipping through a binder looking for answers, and say "Umm. Try this....and call me back if it doesn't work," which it usuually didn't. After a few call backs, I'd just give up and do some workaround.

You'd think doing a CTRL-A (i.e. selecting ALL the rows) and selecting Format Cells...Autofit Row Height would do this, right? But noooooooo. That would make my life too f'ing simple.

Hi, Peoples.

I have a workbook in which I can't unhide 10 hidden rows (91 thru 100). The workbook and worksheet are unprotected. There is no VBA code in the workbook. Does anyone know why this may be happening? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Barry

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you, Barry, for asking this question, and thank you Andrew and Tom for your answers. I was getting massively frustrated trying to unhide rows and the beacon Google led me here. I also had to turn off Filter. Thank you thank you thank you all!
(y)

Upvote 0
I had the same issue. once I removed the filters, everything unhide. What I don't understand is why I had the issue. The Data had already been filtered, prior to hiding the rows. Any insight? Thanks

Upvote 0
Also, check to make sure your sheet is not in Filter mode. Click on Data > Filter and see if Show All needs to be selected.

Thank you so much, Tom! I was having issues at work this morning unhiding rows and tried everything i knew and other comments on google which didn't work. I stumbled across your suggestion on turning off the filter, and like magic, the rows were unhidden! Thanks so much!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back