What does "Activate" mean

mikecox39

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This is my first post; but probably not my last :biggrin:

I am studying John Walkenbach’s book: “Excel 2010; Power Programming with VBA”. It’s huge, but I need to learn how to automate a budget spreadsheet I’ve been developing over the years; for the next condo association treasurer. I know how to use it, but no one else does!

Today I read the following:

VBE doesn’t have a menu command to close a workbook. You must reactivate Excel and close it from there.

Notice that Excel is activated when the macro execute.

My question is; What does it mean to “Activate” XL?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Go back to the spreadsheet window and close or write a line of code in the VBE (it doesn't have a "close workbook" menu choice).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Go back to the spreadsheet window and close or write a line of code in the VBE (it doesn't have a "close workbook" menu choice).
Sorry, but that didn't answer the question.

But let me ask what you mean by "spreadsheet window"?

show.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Upvote 0
Activating a window simply means to make it the focus of your GUI. As an example, open several programs such as Excel, a browser, VBE, and Freecell. When you alt + tab to cycle through the programs, you are activating each one that you land on. Your keyboard strokes get routed to the "active" window which is why you cannot type a URL into the address bar of your browser when Excel is activated. Conversely, you cannot type in a formula into a cell until you activate that window. VBA scripts work in a similar fashion.

Upvote 0
Activating a window simply means to make it the focus of your GUI. As an example, open several programs such as Excel, a browser, VBE, and Freecell. When you alt + tab to cycle through the programs, you are activating each one that you land on. Your keyboard strokes get routed to the "active" window which is why you cannot type a URL into the address bar of your browser when Excel is activated. Conversely, you cannot type in a formula into a cell until you activate that window. VBA scripts work in a similar fashion.
Well that was simple enough;:oops: I mean Dah! Seems like it would be simpler to just say; make the window active, because it's not really activating XL it's activating a window; it generic.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back