VBA code to print changing number of sheets to separate pdf files and save with specific names

BeeJay

I have no clue about VBA, except for any macro's that I recorded myself in excel.

What I'm looking for is the following:

I would like to be able to select a certain number of sheets in an excel file. Which sheet I would like to decide on the spot so to say.
Each selected sheet should then be stored as a separate PDF file in the same folder as where the xlsx file is stored in.

The PDF files should be saved as follows:
"Sheetname" + "specific text".

The specific text should be asked for somewhere when the macro is being executed. And this specific text is the same for each individual pdf.

I'm working with excel 2010.

Could anybody assist?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
I recently made something very similar for another thread on this board, so I have adjusted that for you: (original thread http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...book-hundreds-sheets-list-specific-sheet.html)

you will need to do some work here. It is not difficult if you follow the instructions exactly. What we are going to do is create a userform where you can select the sheet names and enter a basename for the pdf file names. The form will handle what to do when you press the OK button.

1. Open your workbook (with all the sheets). Close any other workbooks to keep things easy.
  2. Now press Alt-F11 to open the <acronym title="visual basic for applications" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help;">VBA</acronym> editor. You will see in the top left panel your workbook with all the sheets listed.
  3. Somewhere there right click your mouse and select 'Insert...' / 'User Form'
  4. In the right panel an empty userform appears.
  5. Hopefully in the bottom left panel a list of properties for the form is shown. If not press F4.
  6. The very first item of the properties is '(Name)' which reads UserForm1
  7. This is pretty meaningless, so rename it to 'SheetsForPrinting'
  8. Go down the list in the properties to 'Caption'. It says 'UserForm1'.
  9. Change the caption to "Sheets for Printing"
  10. Look at your form, you can see the new title it has.
  11. Click once on the form. Hopefully a little toolbox window will appear. if not goto 'View' in the menu and select 'Toolbox'
  12. You want to know what the form does, so let's put some text on it. click on the 'A' in the toolbox to paint a label.
  13. Take your mouse to the userform and from top left to about a cm down and to the right of the form 'paint' a label box
  14. put the cursor in this box and type (or copy /paste from here):"Select the sheets you want to have printed form the list. Use Ctrl key to select multiple individual sheets"
  15. OK, now we need to be able to do something useful with the form. Go to the Toolbox and hover your mouse over the icons till you find 'ListBox' (normally 1st icon on second row). Click on it
  16. Now back to the userform and paint a square below your label to just above the bottom of the form. This is where the sheet names will appear (when called)
  17. We also want to be able to enter a base name for the pdf output (they will all get a sequential number and date appended)
  18. So from the toolbox select the ab| icon and paint a textbox a bit below the list box (see image below to get an idea. You can make the form bigger by dragging the bottom edge)
  19. We also want a label above it to explain what the textbox is for: make a label and give it the caption: 'Base Name for PDF output'
  20. Lastly we need some buttons: on the Toolbox find the little button icon (CommandButton). Click it
  21. Back to the form and to the right of our square paint a button
  22. click once on the button. Then hold down the Ctrl key and drag a copy of the button to below the first button (handy way to keep buttons same size)
  23. In the Properties window (bottom right) change the caption of the button to 'Cancel'
  24. Click once on the first button
  25. In the Properties window change the caption of the button to 'OK'
  26. Go a bit further down the properties list to 'Default'. set that to True (this means it will react to the Enter key)

Hey you now have a wonderful form! Should look something like this:

ZJT6Oxkvuw2_Mnx1mUQtE9yiBHQav4YDlfOnGuhzh3w=w241-h232-p-no

1. Click on your userform title and press F5. Hey there it is. But the list is empty and the buttons don't do anything.
  2. Press the red close button to close the form. Let's go add some functionality...
  3. Now let's start with the cancel button. Double click on the cancel button. The form disappears and an empty white space is looking at you with a skeleton macro in it for the cancel button.
  4. Delete everything and paste the following text:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> CommandButton2_Click()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Cancel Button</SPAN><br>    Unload Me<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

1. Basically it says: if you click the cancel button then unload (close) the userform (Me)
  2. You can try it. Press F5. the cancel button should now work
  3. Now paste the following code below the code of the cancel button

<font face=Courier New><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> CommandButton1_Click()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' OK button</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, j <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> vShList <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> sFName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ListBox1<br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' use an array to store the selected sheets</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">ReDim</SPAN> vShList(1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> .ListCount, 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> 1)<br>        j = 1<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> .ListCount - 1<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> .Selected(i) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>                vShList(j, 1) = .List(i)<br>                j = j + 1<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> j = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Or</SPAN> TextBox1.Value = vbNullString <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'no sheet was selected or no name was given</SPAN><br>            MsgBox "At least one sheets needs to be selected and an output name to be entered", vbCritical<br>            <br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' we have sheets selected and a valid base name</SPAN><br>            j = 1   <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' filename counter</SPAN><br>            sFName = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & TextBox1.Value<br>            <br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(vShList, 1)<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> IsEmpty(vShList(i, 1)) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>                    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'print the sheet</SPAN><br>                    PrintAsPDF <SPAN style="color:#00007F">CStr</SPAN>(vShList(i, 1)), sFName & " - " & Format(j, "000") & " - " & Format(Date, "yy-mm-dd")<br>                    j = j + 1<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>        Unload Me<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> User<SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN>m_Initialize()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> wsWS <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' fill the list box with all sheet names, but not Main_List</SPAN><br>    For <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> wsWS <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> ThisWorkbook.Worksheets<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> wsWS.Name <> "Main_List" <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            ListBox1.AddItem (wsWS.Name)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> wsWS<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' put a default name for the base PDF name</SPAN><br>    TextBox1.Value = Left(ThisWorkbook.Name, InStr(1, ThisWorkbook.Name, ".") - 1)<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br></FONT>

OK now we have added the code for the OK button and for loading (starting) the userform.
Press F5 again. Wow! you can see all the sheets in the listbox. Select a few. Now press the OK button. Gosh you get an error message. That is because it expects a print sup which we haven't created yet. End the macro.

OK so we need two more things. We need to call up the user form. So we write a little macro and attach that to a button which we stick in Main_List. We also need a little pdf print macro. This is called by the userform.

1. Go back to the <acronym title="visual basic for applications" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help;">VBA</acronym> editor. Now right click again on the workbook in the top left panel and select 'Insert..' / 'Module'
  2. A new section Modules will appear below the workbook and the right panel has cleared with the new module open.
  3. Here we can write macros that we can access from the workbook.
  4. Paste the following macro:

<font face=Courier New>Option Explicit<br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> SelectSheets()<br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' call userform to select sheets for printing</SPAN><br>    SheetsforPrinting.Show<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> PrintAsPDF(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> sWS2Print <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>, <SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> sSaveName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>)<br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Print Macro</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'PDF export, do not open directly in Acrobat _<br>         in case there are many hundreds printed</SPAN><br>    Sheets(sWS2Print).ExportAsFixedFormat _<br>        Type:=xlTypePDF, _<br>        Filename:=sSaveName, _<br>        OpenAfterPublish:=<SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

1. Now if you want to run this using a shortcut key, go to Excel. Press Alt-F8. It will show a dialog box with your macro 'SelectSheets' shown.
  2. Select the macro (don't double click)
  3. Press the Option... button and select a suitable shortcut sheet for it (preferably something with Shift, as a lot of the other keys already do something)
  4. Click OK and then go back to the sheet. In cell D1 or so type your shortcut in (Ctrl-Shift-S for instance) so you don't forget
Then try it.
Finished

1. If you rather have a button, then you probably first need to enable the 'Developers' menu.
  2. Right click on the menu ribbon, select 'Customise the Ribbon...'
  3. In the right panel check the tickbox infront of 'Developer'.Click OK
  4. Go to the Developer menu
  5. Press the 'Insert' icon
  6. select the button from the 'Form Controls' (top left icon)
  7. in your spreadsheet paint your button
  8. A dialog box opens to ask which macro it should run. Select your macro, click OK
  9. The button appears, Click on the button to edit the text to somethin meaning full (right clicking allows you to change size, position, text)
Press the button

Let me know if this worked and how happy you now are!

I haven't added any checking to see if the filenames already exist, so if you run it several times on a day, you need to delete or move the pdfs first. Also I have made it so that the pdfs are stored in the same folder as the workbook running the macro.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply.It looks fantastic, but I need some time to work this out. Will let you know soonest if it works.

Many thanks anyway for the time you spend to answer my question.

Hartelijk dank!

Upvote 0
Oké, it didn't take too much time after all. Any way still have a couple of loose ends on this:

1. the CTRL function does not work, so I can select only one sheet at the time
2. I would like to use this function in various excel files
3. When the files are saved, this should happen as follows (if possible):
Sheetname1, "inputted text".pdf
Sheetname2, "inputted text".pdf
Sheetname3, "inputted text".pdf
The filename, number and date etc. are not necessary when the pdf's are saved.

Pleased to hear!

Upvote 0
OK, easy fixes. I see I forgot to set a property for the list box.
Open the VBA editor, and go into userform code. Here we will first change the setting for the pdf file names.

Locate these lines:
Code:
                    'print the sheet
                    PrintAsPDF CStr(vShList(i, 1)), sFName & " - " & Format(j, "000") & " - " & Format(Date, "yy-mm-dd")
Now change the second line to:
Code:
                    PrintAsPDF CStr(vShList(i, 1)), sFName & " - inputted text" )

OK now go to the userform itself.
click once on the listbox (the larger square) and then check in the properties list (lower left) for MultiSelect and set the value to: 2-fmMultiSelectExtended

Great, test the code and hopefully you will be able to select more sheets (using the ctrl key) and the names will come out OK.

Once you are happy you can think about getting this to work on other excel sheets. The finest solution would be to create an Add-In which would put this into the menu, etc. but let's not run before we can walk.

The second best thing would be to create a personal workbook and copy this macromodule and userform in it. You would open up the personal workbook when you start Excel and then when you need it you call up the macro (using Alt-F8).

The last option, if it is only a few workbooks that need this, is to copy the userform and macro module to each of them.

For option 2 and 3 you can do the same thing.

Have this workbook and the other workbook open at the same time.
Now go into the VBA editor. In the list top left you will see both (or more) books.
Now you can drag the userform from this workbook to any other in the list. Do the same with the macro module. That's it! job done. Now the userform is available int the other workbook as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your assistance which is most appreciated.

The Multiselect part works great.

For this part: PrintAsPDF CStr(vShList(i, 1)), sFName & " - inputted text" ) I receive a compiler error. And I fear we have a misunderstanding on this part. The Inputted text should off course be the value of the TextBox1.Value.
so each separate pdf file should be saved with the name Sheet + the content of what is in the Text Box.

And I do think I would need an add-in in the long run because there also other users which would need this and the solutions as described above may be over their head.

Upvote 0
Ah, of course. I was sleeping...

In the code for the button click find the 'Else' statement
replace the text between 'Else' and 'End If' with
Code:
            ' we have sheets selected and a valid base name
            j = 1   ' filename counter
            sFName = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\"

For i = 1 To UBound(vShList, 1)
                If Not IsEmpty(vShList(i, 1)) Then
                    'print the sheet
                    PrintAsPDF CStr(vShList(i, 1)), sFName & vShList(i, 1) & TextBox1.Value
                    j = j + 1
                End If
            Next i

I'll think about the add-in (busy on another project at the moment)

Upvote 0
Code works wonderfull now! Fantastic.

If you have some spare time in near future to have this incorporated in an add-in that would be great!

Upvote 0
OK, I have made an Add-in, and I will post it so you can download it ready-made. But as this board is also used for learning, I am adding all the steps here to get to the Add-in and how to install it.
Note that the add-in will add a menu item, but is using Excel 1997-2000 code to do so. This means that the menu can be found in Excel 2007+ under an Add-In ribbon tab. I have not given it a real 2010+ Ribbon of its own.

If you want to create the Add-in yourself, then basically you start with an empty new workbook. You can save it as a normal workbook first, later we will save it as an Add-in workbook.

You more or less need to follow the steps above to create the userform and additional code. As I have modified the userform to add some more functionality, here is a screenshot of what my userform looks like in the VBE (VBA Editor)
voCCTES--u0cbv5QKGD_U_3DZJPFTlTy-sm3KYJ_IgU=w185-h228-p-no

In addition to the earlier userform I have a few more lables, one of which will show the user an example of what the file names will look like with the data he enters in the Textbox.
Another addition is a checkbox, which when left checked will open Windows Explorer in the folder so the user can see the pdf files.

So create the userform.
The label with 'Example' I have renamed lblExample to make it clear in the code what it is for. I have set the properties to Blue text, so the user will see it better.

The main change in the code (other than the added functionality) is that we can't use 'ThisWorkbook' as that would refer to the Add-in which is more or less invisible to the user, and is not the one on which the actions should take place. So we use 'ActiveWorkbook' instead, which refers to the workbook from which the user will be calling the macro.

So the code behind the Userform now is as follows:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> btnCancel_Click()<br>    bCancel = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>  <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' flag to avoid opening Windows Explorer</SPAN><br>    Unload Me<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> btnPrint_Click()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Print button</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, j <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> vShList <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> sFName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ListBox1<br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' use an array to store the selected sheets</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">ReDim</SPAN> vShList(1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> .ListCount, 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> 1)<br>        j = 1<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> .ListCount - 1<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> .Selected(i) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>                vShList(j, 1) = .List(i)<br>                j = j + 1<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> j = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Or</SPAN> TextBox1.Value = vbNullString <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'no sheet was selected or no name was given</SPAN><br>            MsgBox "At least one sheets needs to be selected and an output name to be entered", vbCritical<br>            <br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' we have sheets selected and a valid base name</SPAN><br>            j = 1   <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' filename counter</SPAN><br>            sFName = ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\"<br>            <br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(vShList, 1)<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> IsEmpty(vShList(i, 1)) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>                    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'print the sheet</SPAN><br>                    PrintAsPDF <SPAN style="color:#00007F">CStr</SPAN>(vShList(i, 1)), sFName & vShList(i, 1) & " - " & TextBox1.Value<br>                    j = j + 1<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>        Unload Me<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> CheckBox1_Click()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' cancel opening Windows Explorer after printing</SPAN><br>    bCancel = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> CheckBox1.Value<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> TextBox1_Change()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' update the Example file name</SPAN><br>    lblExample.Caption = ListBox1.List(1)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Len(TextBox1) > 20 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        lblExample.Caption = lblExample.Caption & " - " & Left(TextBox1.Value, 10) & "..." & Right(TextBox1.Value, 10)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>        lblExample.Caption = lblExample.Caption & " - " & TextBox1.Value<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> UserForm_Activate()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> wsWS <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' fill the list box with all sheet names, but not Main_List</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> wsWS <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> wsWS.Visible = xlSheetVisible <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Hidden sheets should not be included: _<br>             1. they won't print (error) _<br>             2. there is a reason the are hidden</SPAN><br>             <br>            ListBox1.AddItem (wsWS.Name)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> wsWS<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' put a default name for the base PDF name</SPAN><br>    TextBox1.Value = Left(ActiveWorkbook.Name, InStr(1, ActiveWorkbook.Name, ".") - 1)<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br></FONT>

Then we have the code which calls the userform, ie the code that runs when the user clicks on the menu item (or calls it from the macro dialog). The code is sitting in a normal module.

This code now looks as follows:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Public</SPAN> bCancel <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Boolean</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' flag yes/no opening Windows Explorer</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> SelectSheets4Print()<br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' call userform to select sheets for printing</SPAN><br>    SheetsForPrinting.Show<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> bCancel <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' open Windows Explorer in the directory</SPAN><br>        Shell "explorer.exe " & ActiveWorkbook.Path, vbNormalFocus<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>        MsgBox "Finished printing to pdf"<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> PrintAsPDF(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> sWS2Print <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>, <SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> sSaveName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>)<br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Print Macro</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'PDF export, do not open directly in Acrobat _<br>         in case there are many hundreds printed</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> Err<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Errors are thrown if sheets are hidden or nothing to print _<br>      (Hidden sheets should not show up in list)</SPAN><br>    ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(sWS2Print).ExportAsFixedFormat _<br>        Type:=xlTypePDF, _<br>        Filename:=sSaveName, _<br>        OpenAfterPublish:=<SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> 0<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>Err:<br>    MsgBox "Error printing sheet " & sWS2Print<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> 0<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br></FONT>

Lastly we need to put in the Add-in required code. What needs to happen is that when the workbook (an add-in is still a workbook) is opened by Excel (for an add-in that is when Excel starts up), it installs our menu item. And when it exits (upon closing excel or unloading the add-in by the user) the menu item disappears. In case Excel crashed, we don't want to install a second identical menu item, so we delete any existing one first.

To get this done we need to write the code to do this into the Workbook module.
For this you need to in the VBE double-click on 'WorkBook' under your workbook name. This will open its module. Here we can put code that runs on opening and on closing the workbook.
SP1hk1qjDxDmXPT_k8TbjIhYql_p-9Wor7ikYE--XAY=w482-h238-p-no

OK. So paste the following code in here:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' START ThisWorkbook Code Module</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Const</SPAN> C_TAG = "McSijpP2PDFAddIn" <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' C_TAG should be a string unique to this add-in.</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Const</SPAN> C_TOOLS_MENU_ID <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN> = 30007&<br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Workbook_Open()<br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Workbook_Open</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Create a submenu on the Tools menu. The</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' submenu has two controls on it.</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> ToolsMenu <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Office.CommandBarControl<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> ToolsMenuItem <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Office.CommandBarControl<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> ToolsMenuControl <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Office.CommandBarControl<br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' First delete any of our controls that</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' may not have been properly deleted previously.</SPAN><br>DeleteControls<br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Get a reference to the Tools menu.</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> ToolsMenu = Application.CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=C_TOOLS_MENU_ID)<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> ToolsMenu <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>    MsgBox "Unable to access Tools menu.", vbOKOnly<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Create a item on the Tools menu.</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> ToolsMenuItem = ToolsMenu.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup, temporary:=True)<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> ToolsMenuItem <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>    MsgBox "Unable to add item to the Tools menu.", vbOKOnly<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ToolsMenuItem<br>    .Caption = "&Print to PDF"<br>    .BeginGroup = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    .OnAction = "'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!SelectSheets4Print"<br>    .Tag = C_TAG<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'' Create the first control on the new item</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'' in the Tools menu.</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Set ToolsMenuControl = ToolsMenuItem.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, temporary:=True)</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'If ToolsMenuControl Is Nothing Then</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    MsgBox "Unable to add item to Tools menu item.", vbOKOnly</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    Exit Sub</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'End If</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'With ToolsMenuControl</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    ' Set the display caption and the</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    ' procedure to run when clicked.</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    .Caption = "&Click Me One"</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    .OnAction = "'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!MacroToRunOne"</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    .Tag = C_TAG</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'End With</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'' Create the first control on the new item</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'' in the Tools menu.</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Set ToolsMenuControl = ToolsMenuItem.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, temporary:=True)</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'If ToolsMenuControl Is Nothing Then</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    MsgBox "Unable to add item to Tools menu item.", vbOKOnly</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    Exit Sub</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'End If</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'With ToolsMenuControl</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    ' Set the display caption and the</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    ' procedure to run when clicked.</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    .Caption = "&Click Me Two"</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    .OnAction = "'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!MacroToRunTwo"</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    .Tag = C_TAG</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'End With</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Boolean</SPAN>)<br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Workbook_BeforeClose</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Before closing the add-in, clean up our controls.</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br>    DeleteControls<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> DeleteControls()<br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Delete controls whose Tag is</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' equal to C_TAG.</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Ctrl <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Office.CommandBarControl<br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'On Error Resume Next</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> Ctrl = Application.CommandBars.FindControl(Tag:=C_TAG)<br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Do</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Until</SPAN> Ctrl <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN><br>    Ctrl.Delete<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> Ctrl = Application.CommandBars.FindControl(Tag:=C_TAG)<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Loop</SPAN><br><br>End <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">' END ThisWorkbook Code Module</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''</SPAN><br><br><br><br></FONT>

Save your workbook.

In the VBE, go to the workbook module (the one we just created), click once in the WorkBook_Open macro and press F5 key.
Go back to Excel, and check, you should have a Add-In tab in the menu and if you go there there should be a menu item we just created.

Open another workbook. Go to this menu item and click it. It should work and print your sheets if you ask.

So once it is tested OK, then go back to the Print2PDF workbook. We want to put some comments in the file Properties so we know what this add-in does:
Go to the File menu, Info. On the right panel you see the properties. Expand the list by clicking on 'Show All Properties'
Click on 'Add a Category' and type 'Utility'
Click on 'addComments' and type in 'This add-in makes it easy to print selected sheets to .pdf files'
Click on 'add Title' and give it a title as well.
Now save as Add-In (.xlam for 2007+, .xla if you still use an older version of Excel)

Excel will propose to save it in its Add-in directory, which probably is fine.

Now close Print2PDF.

Install the Add-in:
go to the File tab, Options, Add-Ins, and press the Go... button bottom middle. Now you see a list of installed (with tick) and not installed add-ins. Put a tick infront of the PrintSheets2PDF (you can now see your comments here) and OK.

The add-in will load and you now have the extra menu available everytime you start Excel.

wonderful or what?

So you don't want to go through all this work yourself? Well download the add-in here, put it in your add-in folder (or any other folder that won't move about) and go through the last steps to install it.

here is the link. The file is unprotected so you can check / modify the code if you want.
Printto PDF Add-in: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxykuY6uKAJ9LXZBUGxIQTJNV00/edit?usp=sharing

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back