query on a network

ce0989

I am attempting to set up a DSN and query from Excel to an Oracle database. The problem I am fighting is where the DSN and .dqy need to be saved. At this point, if I set up a DSN and a copy of the .dqy then it works. I would like to be to just set it up on the server once but I don't know how. I'm new to the Excel part so perhaps I'm missing something basic?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the information did not address how to direct the query to a dsn on the server. If I create the query and/or dsn on a client machine, it remains specific to that machine. Many of the users on this system are not in the same city, so going around to install them is not a viable option. Is there a way to make the dsn and .dqy point to a server?

Upvote 0
I've done similar things to an access an SQLServer database using the connection string and ADO.

For an access example:

strConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=\mps-rfiDatabaseProd_Data.mdb;" & _
"Persist Security Info = False"

I'm sure you can find something similar for Oracle. Probably would be better to surf some of the Oracle message boards or check out Microsoft's ADO information at support.microsoft.com

Good luck,

K

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-09 11:44, ce0989 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but the information did not address how to direct the query to a dsn on the server. If I create the query and/or dsn on a client machine, it remains specific to that machine. Many of the users on this system are not in the same city, so going around to install them is not a viable option. Is there a way to make the dsn and .dqy point to a server?

Use "Oracle Net8 Easy Config" to assign a Service Name to a Host Name. Create DSN (on each user's PC) using "Microsoft ODBC Administrator" that specifies the above Service Name as the Data Source Service Name.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-05-09 12:38

Upvote 0
Those are great suggestions, I hadn't thought about Easy Config at all. I'll try both and if I find the solution, I'll post it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back