Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: query on a network

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am attempting to set up a DSN and query from Excel to an Oracle database. The problem I am fighting is where the DSN and .dqy need to be saved. At this point, if I set up a DSN and a copy of the .dqy then it works. I would like to be to just set it up on the server once but I don't know how. I'm new to the Excel part so perhaps I'm missing something basic?

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See the Excel Help topic for "Ways to retrieve data from an external database".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestion, but the information did not address how to direct the query to a dsn on the server. If I create the query and/or dsn on a client machine, it remains specific to that machine. Many of the users on this system are not in the same city, so going around to install them is not a viable option. Is there a way to make the dsn and .dqy point to a server?

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done similar things to an access an SQLServer database using the connection string and ADO.

For an access example:

strConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
    "Data Source=\mps-rfiDatabaseProd_Data.mdb;" & _
    "Persist Security Info = False"

I'm sure you can find something similar for Oracle. Probably would be better to surf some of the Oracle message boards or check out Microsoft's ADO information at support.microsoft.com

Good luck,

K

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-05-09 11:44, ce0989 wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the information did not address how to direct the query to a dsn on the server. If I create the query and/or dsn on a client machine, it remains specific to that machine. Many of the users on this system are not in the same city, so going around to install them is not a viable option. Is there a way to make the dsn and .dqy point to a server?
    Use "Oracle Net8 Easy Config" to assign a Service Name to a Host Name. Create DSN (on each user's PC) using "Microsoft ODBC Administrator" that specifies the above Service Name as the Data Source Service Name.

[ This Message was edited by: Mark W. on 2002-05-09 12:38 ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are great suggestions, I hadn't thought about Easy Config at all. I'll try both and if I find the solution, I'll post it.

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others