More than 7 functions

rdeters

Maybe if chris can help me out with this one again. Thanks again for the help yesterday, that formula worked excellent. I have the following formula now:
=IF(OR(A1={"V-Valve (AO)","X-Motor (VFD)"}),"AO",IF(OR(A1={"V-Valve (DO)","X-Motor (Start/Stop)"}),"DO",IF(OR(A1={"ZO-open","ZC-close","ZO/ZC-open/close"}),"DI",IF(A1=("ZT-(Transducer)"),"DO",""))))

I want to replace "A1" in the formula above with: =INDIRECT("'Instrument Tags'!"&CHAR(SUBSTITUTE(MOD(ROW(),7),0,7)+76)&ROUNDUP((ROW()/7),0)+2).
Replacing it is no problem. The problem is that excel will not accept it, probably because it has more than 7 functions imbedded or maybe too many characters. Are you able to help me out any? Hoping that this one will not exhaust you as much as the last problem! Ha Ha.

P.S. I was able to figure out you're logic out, with the last problem that is, thanks.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Try placing your 2nd formula in another location and assigning a Name to that Cell. Then in your 1st formula, replace A1 with the Name. It should work.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-09 12:12, rdeters wrote:
Maybe if chris can help me out with this one again. Thanks again for the help yesterday, that formula worked excellent. I have the following formula now:
=IF(OR(A1={"V-Valve (AO)","X-Motor (VFD)"}),"AO",IF(OR(A1={"V-Valve (DO)","X-Motor (Start/Stop)"}),"DO",IF(OR(A1={"ZO-open","ZC-close","ZO/ZC-open/close"}),"DI",IF(A1=("ZT-(Transducer)"),"DO",""))))

I want to replace "A1" in the formula above with: =INDIRECT("'Instrument Tags'!"&CHAR(SUBSTITUTE(MOD(ROW(),7),0,7)+76)&ROUNDUP((ROW()/7),0)+2).
Replacing it is no problem. The problem is that excel will not accept it, probably because it has more than 7 functions imbedded or maybe too many characters. Are you able to help me out any? Hoping that this one will not exhaust you as much as the last problem! Ha Ha.

P.S. I was able to figure out you're logic out, with the last problem that is, thanks.

May I suggest a different route concerning your first formula?

Create a 2-column list in a worksheet you could name Admin as follows:

{"V-Valve (AO)",
"AO";"V-Valve (DO)","DO";
"X-Motor (Start/Stop)","DO";
"X-Motor (VFD)","AO";
"ZC-close","DI";
"ZO-open","DI";
"ZT-(Transducer)"")","DO"}

in A2:B8. Select all of the cells of this 2-column list, go to the Name Box on the Formula Bar, type CATEGS (from Categories), and hit enter.

Now change

to:

=IF(COUNTIF(CATEGS,A1),VLOOKUP(A1,CATEGS,2,0),"")

Try to substitute the second formula for A1.

Aladin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back