SUMPRODUCT with INDEX & MATCH

D4rwin

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a list of sales data for a range of products sorted with respective attributes such as flavour, filling size, etc. These products (drinks) are normally packaged by unique flavour which makes counting sales units by flavour very easy by simply specifying the criteria in either sumproduct or sumif. However, in some packages the product flavours are mixed which is then denoted in the sales data attribute as "mix". I have a separate info table representing the flavour split per package (product code) by percent.

I would like to be able to sum the sales units by referencing a flavour (eg. Chocolate) and if an attribute is listed as "mix" I want it to lookup the product code and multiply the sales units with the respective percentage for the mixed package.

I have tried, without success, to combine SUMPRODUCT with the likes of Index & Match but the match function does not seem to work with arrays particularly well. I have played around with it quite a bit by adding separate columns but am not too keen on adding more columns to the sales data.

Here is an example of what it is I would like to achieve:

Sales Data
Product CodeFlavourSales Units
xxxchocolate150
yyystrawberry230
zzzbanana98
aaamix110
bbbmix120
cccmix85
xxxchocolate113
yyystrawberry160
aaamix65

<tbody>
</tbody>

Mix Package Info
Product CodeChocolateStrawberryBanana
aaa50%20%30%
bbb45%45%10%
ccc30%25%45%

<tbody>
</tbody>

I would then like to sum the total units by referencing a flavour.

All advice is welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Another possible solution

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
Product Code​
Flavour​
Sales Units​

xxx​
chocolate​
150​
Product Code​
Chocolate​
Strawberry​
Banana​
yyy​
strawberry​
230​
aaa​
???
zzz​
banana​
98​
bbb​
?
?
?​
aaa​
mix​
110​
ccc​
?
?
?​
bbb​
mix​
120​
ccc​
mix​
85​
xxx​
chocolate​
113​
yyy​
strawberry​
160​
aaa​
mix​
65​
Flavour​
Sales​
Chocolate​
430​
Strawberry​
500,25​
Banana​
200,75​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Formula in B15 copied down
=SUMIF($B$2:$B$10,A15,$C$2:$C$10)+SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF($A$2:$A$10,$E$3:$E$5,$C$2:$C$10)*INDEX($F$3:$H$5,0,MATCH(A15,$F$2:$H$2,0)))

Hope this helps

M.

------------------

Additional Question to above with modification on data:

Add I1 = MIX

What would be the formula to derive total sales by Flavor for each Product Code where the queston marks are? I have removed the Flavour Mix bit.

Upvote 0
I have rephrased the question. It should be a SUM-PRODUCT formula but cannot get it right yet.

I do not see any rephrasing. Are you looking for a formula or prescribing one? If

=SUMIF($B$2:$B$10,A15,$C$2:$C$10)

is not doing what you intend, try to describe the problem you want to solve. Use the data of post #7 if possible and indicate the desired results which must obtain for that data.

Upvote 0
Something like:

Excel 2010
ABCDEFGHI
1Product CodeFlavourSales Units
3aaachocolate150Product Codechocolatestrawberrybananamix
4aaastrawberry230aaa1502300110
5cccbanana98bbb01600120
6aaamix110ccc113098150
7bbbmix120
8cccmix85
9cccchocolate113Product Codechocolatestrawberrybananamix
10bbbstrawberry160aaa1502300110
11cccmix65bbb01600120
12ccc113098150
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F4=SUMIFS($C$3:$C$11,$A$3:$A$11,$E4,$B$3:$B$11,F$3)
F10=SUMPRODUCT(($A$3:$A$11=$E10)*($B$3:$B$11=F$9)*$C$3:$C$11)

With the data changed so that all units are direct.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Assuming your Sales Data table is in a sheet named Sales Data in the range A1:C10 (with headers in row 1) and that your Mix Package Info table is in a sheet named Mix Package Info in the range A1:D4 (also with headers in row 1), then, if in the Sales Data sheet you enter "mix" in E2:E4 and "chocolate", "strawberry" and "banana" in F2:F4, this array formula** in G2:

=SUM((B$2:B$10=E2:F2)*C$2:C$10*(IFERROR(N(OFFSET('Mix Package Info'!$A$1,MATCH('Sales Data'!$A$2:$A$10,'Mix Package Info'!$A$2:$A$4,0),MATCH('Sales Data'!F2,'Mix Package Info'!$B$1:$D$1,0),,)),1)))

Copy down as required.

Regards

**Array formulas are not entered in the same way as 'standard' formulas. Instead of pressing just ENTER, you first hold down CTRL and SHIFT, and only then press ENTER. If you've done it correctly, you'll notice Excel puts curly brackets {} around the formula (though do not attempt to manually insert these yourself).</SPAN></SPAN>
Hi , usually we use N(if,1) to get index to deliver array , can u pls let me know the use of only “N” ?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Assuming your Sales Data table is in a sheet named Sales Data in the range A1:C10 (with headers in row 1) and that your Mix Package Info table is in a sheet named Mix Package Info in the range A1:D4 (also with headers in row 1), then, if in the Sales Data sheet you enter "mix" in E2:E4 and "chocolate", "strawberry" and "banana" in F2:F4, this array formula** in G2:

=SUM((B$2:B$10=E2:F2)*C$2:C$10*(IFERROR(N(OFFSET('Mix Package Info'!$A$1,MATCH('Sales Data'!$A$2:$A$10,'Mix Package Info'!$A$2:$A$4,0),MATCH('Sales Data'!F2,'Mix Package Info'!$B$1:$D$1,0),,)),1)))

Copy down as required.

Regards

**Array formulas are not entered in the same way as 'standard' formulas. Instead of pressing just ENTER, you first hold down CTRL and SHIFT, and only then press ENTER. If you've done it correctly, you'll notice Excel puts curly brackets {} around the formula (though do not attempt to manually insert these yourself).</SPAN></SPAN>

Hi XOR LX , Can you please explain this formula, I am bit confused now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back