Number formatting is driving me crazy...please help

ramathires

I have an excel document that has a field for credit card number. I just merged two adjacent cells and formatted the cells to accept a number. The problems is whenever I type is 16 digits for a credit card, the 16th digit is replaced by a "0". If I type in 15 digits the number looks fine and there are no problems. But the 16th digit is always replaced by a "0". I checked the formatting and rounding properties but I cant see anything wrong. Please help. I have to get this form done today.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I tried 16 numbers and yup, I got the same zero at the end. Dunno why.

Since I doubt that you are going to be doing any calculations (i.e. sums) based on these entries, why don't you just format the cells as "text"?

Better yet, set up a custom format. Click on Format-Cells-Custom and in the window type in #### #### #### ####.

You can then enter all 16 numbers and it will automatically display with a space between every four numbers, same as on the card. You can even get a sum this way, if you need a hash total.

Upvote 0
The largest integer that Excel will accept has 15 digits. You should format the cells containing your card numbers as Text before your enter their value. There's no need to format as numeric since you probably won't be doing arithmetic operations on card numbers.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-05-09 13:59

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back