Statistics - trying to figure out how much one variable affects another variable

NathanielPrime

I've done several seemingly more advanced tasks in excel, but I wanted to help a local charity out by analyzing the effect of one variable (generally between 0 and 30) on another variable (between 0 and 4). I -know- this should be easy to do. I have tens of thousands of samples, and I have used the CORREL function to show that there is indeed a moderately strong relationship between the two variables.

What I'd really think would help them, though, is being able to say "for every 1 point the first variable increases, the second variable will be .05 lower on average". This has to be possible, yes? I just can't for the life of me figure out/remember how to do it. Anyone know what formula or technique I'm looking for?

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I've done several seemingly more advanced tasks in excel, but I wanted to help a local charity out by analyzing the effect of one variable (generally between 0 and 30) on another variable (between 0 and 4). I -know- this should be easy to do. I have tens of thousands of samples, and I have used the CORREL function to show that there is indeed a moderately strong relationship between the two variables.

What I'd really think would help them, though, is being able to say "for every 1 point the first variable increases, the second variable will be .05 lower on average". This has to be possible, yes? I just can't for the life of me figure out/remember how to do it. Anyone know what formula or technique I'm looking for?
Regression.

Can use Excel's Linest function or the data analysis regression add-in or various ad-hoc regression codes on this forum and elsewhere on the internet.

If you want to make more out of the limited variation in your variables, although I suspect it won't make much difference to you, there are specialized extensions such as probit or logit models. In fact there's a large literature on the topic.

I suspect a straight linear regression would be your best approach.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dukenia71

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back