difference between julian dates

Jon Savage

Hello there,
I would first off like to thank ya for the great info that you have available on your site and that I am always amazed at some of the solutions that you come with. Been a great help to me many a times.

I have been trying to figure out a way to get the total time difference (in hour and minutes) between two julian dates and times. For example, a program that I use at work uses a "julian" date of "4032 1630" to equal 1 feb 04 at 4:30 pm. So I'm needing to be able to find the total hours and minutes difference between say "4032 1630" and "4048 2214". I figure that this must be easy to do using the date and time as a serial number then format the difference as a hour and minute but I'm at lost how to do this :oops: . Any way that you can assist me on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Jon

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
If the time you are looking to convert is in A1, you can try:
=37987+MID(A1,2,3)+(MID(A1,6,2)&":"&RIGHT(A1,2)&":00")

The 37987 is for Jan 1, 2004, the Mid function adds the number of days to 1/1/04, the Mid and right concatenations turns the time into 00:00:00 format which is then added to the date.

Once you convert the two dates, getting the difference is just a matter of subtraction.

A little klugy pehaps, but...

Upvote 0
I was just hacking away at this a bit before the good advice to see chip pearson's site. If I got your format right, with your Julian date/time in a1, use
=DATE(2000+LEFT(A1),1,--MID(A1,2,3))+TEXT(RIGHT(A1,4),"00\:00")

to turn it an "excel" date time that can be further manipulated with subtraction, etc. This has Y3K bug built in, so beware.

Upvote 0
I like Aloho's as well. The only limitation is it doesn't know what year it is. You could also right his/her as (adjusted the constant to 12/31/03)
=SUM(37986,MID(A1,{2,6,8},{3,2,2})/{1,24,1440})

Upvote 0
WOW that was quick with the responses. Thanks for all the suggestions. I managed to get the difference between the two date/times and multiplied by 24 to get 390.2333333 hours. How can I convert the .2333333 to minutes? Thanks again for all the help. Jon

Upvote 0
Well, I still get this to work right. I have the two serial numbers for the dates and time and in the above example I subtracted the two serials to equal 16.25972222 which I believe means 16 days and .259... of 24 hours. So multiplying that by 24 equals 390.2333333 hours But I can't figure out how to get a return of xxxhours and xx minutes (HHH:MM or something like). Sure it's something simple. Didn't see anything at Chip Pearson site but heading back over there to do some more digging. Tried the TIME function above but...well... I guess I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer :unsure: . any suggestions?? Thanks again for your time :) Jon

Upvote 0
trivial option - format the cell with the result as [hh]:mm - should give you 390:14

also, i was reading 16.259722 as hours.minutes - if this is actually days.minutes then try:

=TEXT(A10,"[hh]:MM")+0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaliya13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back