Entering data in cell using macro

elgringo56

Let me try this one on. Is there a way, under macro control to enter a string of data in a cell. suppose, I want cell A1 to equal the string '= is there a code that I would put in a macro that would cause A1 to then equal that? Second, if there is such a way, could that code be used to put that string plus the contents of another cell in A1? Say Cell B1 equals MM1, would there be a way to put the '= plus the contents of B1 in Cell C1 as a string of characters which would look like '=MM1

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
To put the contents of cell A1 in D1 do:

range("d1") = range("a1").Value

To put the contents of cells A1 and A2 in D1 do:

range("d1") = range("a1").Value & range("a2").Value

I hope this helps

Upvote 0
Didn't work, rick. Using normal characters, it does work, but I have to combine the '= character with an unknown alpha numeric and it seems excell doesn't like me to combine that string with anything. gives #NAME error in target cell. This is driving me nuts, LOL

Upvote 0
This should work:

Code:
Sub test()
[a1] = "'="
End Sub

If something's already there, try:

Code:
sub test2()
[a1].value = "'=" & [a1].value
end sub

Is this getting warmer?

Upvote 0
By god, Nate, I owe you a beer. I am stubborn, presistant and a pain in the ***, but I knew there was a way to do it. That is perfect, hit the nail right on the head with that one. Thanks to everyone that I have pestered over the past three days with this. I can now filter undermacro control an alpha numeric string and return only the value I wish and not all the others that are similar. Good show.

Upvote 0
Nate, I live down in mexico and have no books or anything, but am trying to learn this. Could you tell me what the [] means in that one oppsoed to (). I kind of understand the formula here except for those symbols. Thanks again.....ElGringo

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-09 17:00, elgringo56 wrote:
Nate, I live down in mexico and have no books or anything, but am trying to learn this. Could you tell me what the [] means in that one oppsoed to (). I kind of understand the formula here except for those symbols. Thanks again.....ElGringo

Hi ElGringo,

The brackets around the number are technically a shortcut way to use the Evaluate statement in VBA (although it is more limited than the full Evaluate).

In this case, it is also a shorter way to say Range(your cell).value.

is equivalent to
Range("a1").value = "'=" & Range("a1").value

I personally do not prefer this method, but it definitely is clean to see in code.

Don't worry about the books. If you can, pick up on of John Walkenbach's Power Programming books and get a feel for VBA coding. If you stay around here, your knowledge will soon surpass John's writing in all but the more advanced chapters.

If you can't get a book, by all means learn from the newsgroups. Ask questions and answer fi you can. If you are wrong, somebody will surely tell you -- and almost always in a nice way.

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-09 18:31, Jay Petrulis wrote:
On 2002-05-09 17:00, elgringo56 wrote:

Hi ElGringo,

The brackets around the number are technically a shortcut way to use the Evaluate statement in VBA (although it is more limited than the full Evaluate).

In this case, it is also a shorter way to say Range(your cell).value.

is equivalent to
Range("a1").value = "'=" & Range("a1").value

I personally do not prefer this method, but it definitely is clean to see in code.

Don't worry about the books. If you can, pick up one of John Walkenbach's Power Programming books and get a feel for VBA coding. If you stay around here, your knowledge will soon surpass John's writing in all but the more advanced chapters.

If you can't get a book, by all means learn from the newsgroups. Ask questions and answer fi you can. If you are wrong, somebody will surely tell you -- and almost always in a nice way.

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back