windows NT95 vs. windows XP home

Qroozn

I have made a program for work in excel 97.

And smart me bought a computer so i can do my own work at home and burn it to cd to bring it in and distribute it.

But Stupid me is getting Windows XP installed as the operating system. Is this gonna totally screw up my chances of adjusting my program?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Have you used a a lot of API calls?
Do you have Excel 2002 (aka XP) at home?
Have you used modeless userforms?
Have you copied builtin controls using face id's?

If the answers is no, then there's a good chance it'll be ok. If the answer is yes, just take it into work and test the hell out of it.

HTH

PS. Yes, it tends to be a good idea to program on your target platform.

Upvote 0
I have found some of the code is slightly different between versions but you would only need to run it on a 97 ver and debug it to fix it up , its only a very small portion of code, unless your using some of the new features in xp then it wont work>!!!>

Upvote 0
Thanx boiz.

unfortunately my platform is based around reps from around the country...(with their own laptops). One problem i tend to find already is running applications from excel where it calls for an outlook application to run.
Oh well.
A good programmer has to elimiate all errors...(I'll work it out).
I just had a stress attack. I'm picking up the computer today and know nothing about harware or software.
I guess next time i should get someone with better qualifications than myself to make the neccesary purchase on my behalf.

Thanx again

Upvote 0
Thanx boiz.

unfortunately my platform is based around reps from around the country...(with their own laptops). One problem i tend to find already is running applications from excel where it calls for an outlook application to run.
Oh well.
A good programmer has to elimiate all errors...(I'll work it out).
I just had a stress attack. I'm picking up the computer today and know nothing about harware or software.
I guess next time i should get someone with better qualifications than myself to make the neccesary purchase on my behalf.

Thanx again

Upvote 0
If you can't control which version the user is going to be using, then you should target Excel 97 if that is the lowest common denominator. Be careful if you're using API calls, usually if you include the NT and Win9X version you'll be covered.

If the app is trying to call Outlook when somtimes Outlook isn't installed, simply use error trapping so that when the error is Outlook-Missing-type raised you tell the code to do something else. (that's how the good programmer eliminates mistakes)

Upvote 0
Mark. Thanks for the advice.
Its always good to know a novice has help on hand.. such as this web site provides.

Cheers mate

Upvote 0
(that's how the good programmer eliminates mistakes)

Yeah, I wasn't referring to myself here. I'm crap at that sort of thing. My skill level is suited to this site.

G'Night.

Upvote 0
im lost .. i gues from reading that the issues are not Windows, the higher up the laf=dder to Xp the better and stable, but you clearly hight Excel issues, Mark have taken my words i target all project in 97 it has enougfh power and tends to run up XP will sometimes not run down

outlook
protection
tabs
word object s

as are tricky areas, as some cell formatting can be,....

just the way improvemenst are added older version dont understand it

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back