if else macro

shammer

This is most likely on the easy side of a question. I created a toggle grouping that results in a value of 1-4 depending upon which button is selected. Now I want to have a separate cell to use those results to determine four other values. Can you help? Thanks.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
You could do an If structure, but in case (no pun intended) your sheet expands to allow more than just 4 values, a Select Case structure will be easier and more intuitive to modify.

So, try this and modify it for target range, destination range, and conditional values.

Right click on your sheet tab, left click on View Code, and paste this in:

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Target <> [A1] Then Exit Sub

Select Case [A1].Value

Case 1
[B1] = "Value #1"
Case 2
[B1] = "Value #2"
Case 3
[B1] = "Value #3"
Case 4
[B1] = "Value #4"
Case Else
[B1] = "Enter 1, 2, 3, or 4 in A1"

End Select

End Sub

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

HTH

Tom Urtis

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the quick reply!

I must admit, however, that I have been unsuccessful at implementing this code for two main reasons.

1. I don't know which fields are the data ranges that you are referring to, or do I know exactly how the cell references should read (i.e. C3 or "C3" or <C3>)

2. I don't think I know how to actually execute the code once it is correct.

If you have the time to replace the characters with a simple example, I would appreciate it.

For example, if I am referencing a cell (C3) that will have the value of 1, 2, 3, or 4. Cell D3 would have the value of 01/31/02 if C3 = 1, 02/28/02 if C3 = 2, etc.

Sorry for my ignorance, I will pursue finding a reference text to help me with these types of issues in the future.

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-28 11:28, shammer wrote:
Thank you so much for the quick reply!

I must admit, however, that I have been unsuccessful at implementing this code for two main reasons.

1. I don't know which fields are the data ranges that you are referring to, or do I know exactly how the cell references should read (i.e. C3 or "C3" or <C3>)

2. I don't think I know how to actually execute the code once it is correct.

If you have the time to replace the characters with a simple example, I would appreciate it.

For example, if I am referencing a cell (C3) that will have the value of 1, 2, 3, or 4. Cell D3 would have the value of 01/31/02 if C3 = 1, 02/28/02 if C3 = 2, etc.

Sorry for my ignorance, I will pursue finding a reference text to help me with these types of issues in the future.
If Target <> [A1] Then Exit Sub

Select Case [A1].Value

Case 1
[C3] = 1
Case 2
[C3] = 2
Case 3
[C3] = 3
Case 4
[C3] = 4
Case Else
[C3] = "Enter 1, 2, 3, or 4 in A1"

End Select

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back