Format after sorting imported data

grandmaromy

After I import data from an accounting system I cannot format it after it has been sorted. It can be formatted prior to sorting. Other than formatting first, is there a workaround?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Please define "cannot be formatted".

What do you mean? Can you explain the exact scenario and what occurs when you try to format, and HOW you are trying to format? Whether your data is text or numbers, etc.?

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-10 08:37, grandmaromy wrote:
After I import data from an accounting system I cannot format it after it has been sorted. It can be formatted prior to sorting. Other than formatting first, is there a workaround?

Highlight the cells, use "format" to change number format; use borders to frame cells, change date format. Even if it is recognizing numbers as text, the borders should work. This only happens after data has been sorted.

Upvote 0
If I understand the problem correctly I've never heard of this before.
What happens when you attempt a format after a sort ? Does it give error statement ? Or does nothing happen when you attempt the format ?

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-10 10:15, Nimrod wrote:
If I understand the problem correctly I've never heard of this before.
What happens when you attempt a format after a sort ? Does it give error statement ? Or does nothing happen when you attempt the format ?

It does nothing. One problem may be that I have to export from Solomon using an old Excel format. Perhaps if I save the imported data in the new Excel format then try to manipulate it, that might solve the problem.

Upvote 0
Are you sure you're seeing this file in Excel and not from some Excel viewer? You say that you sort it and can no longer format?

I'd like to see one. Very interesting. Are you sorting manually or with code?

Upvote 0
I am in Excel 2000. It will format before a sort but not after a sort. I use the data box then sort.

If I try to format after a sort I use the format box and it will not take.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back