Isolating numeric values from a character string.

Bad Rabbit

Thanks to Mr. Excel contributors, I found out how to use MID(A1, SEARCH("ID=",A1),8) to isolate a specific string of data from a URL.
This already made something which seemed impossible actually work which I am grateful for.

However, the we have new URL structures added and now the result of running the formula leaves me with both numeric, alpha and special characters.
What I am now wondering is if there is a formula that I could run on the outcome to only provide me with the numeric values?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hi,

Could you provide us with half a dozen or so examples and your desired result(s) in each case?

Regards

Upvote 0
These would be some examples, I am looking for a numeric value which will be between 1 and six characters long, due to the two databases, I am using either SEARCH("ID=",A1),9 or SEARCH("ents/",A1),10.
ActualPreferred
ID=723#S723
ID=1009&1009
ents/1284/u1284

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Thanks. And will the desired extraction always be the only number in the string, as in your examples?

Regards

Upvote 0
Thanks. If you're using Excel 2010 or later:

=MID(A2,MIN(FIND({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A2&5^19)),1+MMULT(AGGREGATE({14,15},6,1/(ISNUMBER(0+MID(A2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:999")),1)))*ROW(INDIRECT("1:999")),1),{1;-1}))

If not, let me know and I'll give you another solution.

Regards

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was doing something stupid, your formula works brilliantly!
Thank you so much...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A couple of other possibilities, noting ...

a) The number is restricted to 1 to 6 digits
b) the number follows "ID=" or "ents/" (I'm hoping following "ts/" is also sufficient?)

.. you could try

=AGGREGATE(14,6,--MID(A2,3+AGGREGATE(15,6,SEARCH({"ID=","ts/"},A2),1),{1,2,3,4,5,6}),1)

If the number can be anywhere (that is, not necessarily following "ID=" etc), but still restricted to a maximum of 6 digits, then try

=AGGREGATE(14,6,--MID(A2,AGGREGATE(15,6,FIND({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A2),1),{1,2,3,4,5,6}),1)

Edit: XOR LX, I like the 5^19 trick. I don't remember ever seeing that before. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Assuming there is only ever one number to find in a cell, this formula should work no matter what version of Excel is being used...

=LOOKUP(9E+307,--LEFT(MID(A2,MIN(FIND({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A2&"0123456789")),99),ROW(INDIRECT("1:99"))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camelliaCase

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back