Non-printing cell border...why?

JoanL

I have a big spreadsheet. All cells have borders, that is, each looks like a box with four black lines around it. EXCEPT, one horizontal line doesn't print....even though it shows on the screen. Anyone have an idea why? No matter what I do, it won't print!

THANKS

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Can't do that....I'm in a HUGE company and we are not allowed to do that! Not only that, all the other borders, all 2,000, print okay! Just this one row. How could that be a printer driver anyhow? I must have done something to that row, but when I try to delete it and then add back the data, the non-printing border is still there. :) Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
Does the cell without the border contain an entry nearly as wide as the cell? If so, try making the column a bit wider.

Oops, I just noticed you said "horizontal" line.
This message was edited by Barry Katcher on 2002-05-10 12:38

Upvote 0
Can't do that....I'm in a HUGE company and we are not allowed to do that!

Where's your entrepreneurial spirit? :biggrin:

I also work at a relatively large operation, and here's how it works with Windows 2000 here. You can change your printer, but the address won't change. So, if one has 10 different printers in their control pannel, you can change your default, and it will always print to the same printer.

But, if you're printing to an HP 8500, you don't want HP IIIsi selected, it'll go to the right destination, but the pixel allotment is drastically reduced. Right click on your printer, select properties, advanced, and make sure your print quality is maximized.

This message was edited by NateO on 2002-05-10 12:46

Upvote 0
Okay, okay, okay, Nate! But I still don't see what that's got to do with one horizontal line. And to prove the point, I just printed it on another printer (from our shared folder), and the problem is still there. Wah! I figure that when I was setting up the data and doing the input, I did something to that particular line. But what's buggy is that EVERYTHING else is okidoke. Not only that, when I copy the rows to another spreadsheet and print, the borders show, so somehow its in some instruction about whatever prints on that row. Very weird! Does anyone have a clue???

Upvote 0
I imagine you've tried this already, but check the cell borders (from Format/Cells../Border) from both sides. i.e., select the row below the missing line and make sure it has a top border, then select the row above it and make sure it has a bottom border. Sometimes a missing border on one side will "overrule" borders assigned to the other.

Also, double-check the color of the border -- make sure it's Automatic or Black. Don't know how it would get changed by accident, but, y'know, when you've tried everything else....

:)
Catherine

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back