copying data and skipping hidden lines

mozzer13

I work in a call center, and I do daily reports in Excel on call information for our customer service reps. I have a program called HiPath Composer which generates this data, and my Excel workbook covers each day for a month and does a lot of calculating at the end of the month. Because of my need for totalling at the end, each CSR must remain on the same line on each day. As not everyone works every day, I hide a person's line if they did not work on a particular day and no data was generated for them.

So here's the problem: This is a huge amount of typing every day and I want to automate the process. Composer will export into an Excel file. However, when I try to copy and paste from the exported file to that day's spreadsheet, I am unable to because some lines in the Excel document are hidden and Excel wants to automatically fill those in. What I need to happen when I copy is for Excel to skip lines that are hidden and only put data into the lines that are showing. I've attempted to set up filters for this and such, but unless I copy line by line (which takes nearly the time of typing the data myself), it will not ignore the hidden lines. Is there an Excel function that will cause the hidden lines to be ignored when copying data or will I need some sort of VB application for this? If necessary, I can send you an example of my Excel workbook and the exported Composer file. HELP!!!
This message was edited by mozzer13 on 2002-05-10 12:40

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
If I understand you correctly, you just want to copy data without the hidden rows and columns?

Just select the range of data to copy and then:

Edit/go to/special/visible cells only/ok

Now only the visible cells are selected and you can copy and paste.

Upvote 0
Actually, I want to copy data into a spreadsheet that has hidden lines. I want my copied data to skip the hidden lines and only fill in lines that are visible. I tried using the function you suggested, but it isn't working. Thanks for giving it a try!

Upvote 0
MOzzer,

I don't suppose your hidden rows have any uniformity to them do they ?

I'm guessing they're basically random....

Any number-sequence ? :

row 2,3,4,6,7,8,10,11,12 etc hopefully ?

Chris

Upvote 0
They are random, just whomever isn't working that day. No data will come up for them on my reports if they didn't log into the phones, so I hide their line on the spreadsheet for that day.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-13 10:52, mozzer13 wrote:
Could a Visual Basic app be added to make it skip hidden lines when I paste in copied data?

VBA's Paste method would have the same restriction. I suppose someone could write a VBA to do a row-by-row copy and paste, but that would be very inefficient. Perhaps you should re-think your procedures. Why are are you hiding rows?

Upvote 0
In the text you want to import:
- is the order always the same ? i.e. John's entry first , then Tom then ****
- If Tom didn't work Row 1 would be john,row 2 ****

Upvote 0
Mark: I hide rows I don't need that day in order to keep each person on the same row every day. At the end of the month, all of their phone statistics are totalled for me, and if they are in a different place every day, those totals come out wrong.</p>

Nimrod: It is the same order every day. For example, Nigel is line 1 and Tony is line 2. If Nigel did not work on Monday, he remains line 1, I just hide that line for that day so that I know to put Tony's stats in first that day and to leave Nigel blank. The imported text is always the same order, only some people don't show up on various days because they aren't working.
This message was edited by mozzer13 on 2002-05-13 12:11

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back