size of workbook

cpc

Strange..... I do not understand why my files are so different in size.

I have a workbook with 3 sheets, 5 pages per sheet. (all pages are the same) If I delete the last four pages of all three sheets, the size of page one for all three sheets is 85kb. But if I delete page 1 from all three sheets, the remaining file (the remaining 4 pages on all three sheets) has only been reduced in size by 25kb. Why?

Another look. I have two files. The second being a copy of the first. The second file, with a few minor changes (like =c6 to =$c$6) is almost 35% larger. Why?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
In Excel and depending on which version you use, things go on in the background which you may be aware of or not and use or not. In any case these "things" are updated.

Like who the author is, if their are links or not, if edits were done, if the clip board was used and what is on it, VBA house-keeping, results of the last calculate and a multitude of object variables just in case you chose to use some funtion, tool, option or property. Depending on what the history of the last open before save was you may or may not trigger a pantheon of behind-the-scenes work all requiring differen amounts of storage, hence the changes in file size. Hope this helps. JSW
This message was edited by Joe Was on 2002-05-10 15:14

Upvote 0
be awair it can happen windows reports files in different sizes regardless they can be exact copy

one reason it where they are store on the Hard Drive, and the allocation system to space ir if it crosses a sector or cluster or over the 32kb section it will repost bigger... windows ermmm,....

advanced utilitys that tidy hard drives can solve this.... but not worth the agro really, 50 100k files are fine and take little space, amusing i agree..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back