Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: size of workbook

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange..... I do not understand why my files are so different in size.

I have a workbook with 3 sheets, 5 pages per sheet. (all pages are the same) If I delete the last four pages of all three sheets, the size of page one for all three sheets is 85kb. But if I delete page 1 from all three sheets, the remaining file (the remaining 4 pages on all three sheets) has only been reduced in size by 25kb. Why?

Another look. I have two files. The second being a copy of the first. The second file, with a few minor changes (like =c6 to =$c$6) is almost 35% larger. Why?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Excel and depending on which version you use, things go on in the background which you may be aware of or not and use or not. In any case these "things" are updated.

Like who the author is, if their are links or not, if edits were done, if the clip board was used and what is on it, VBA house-keeping, results of the last calculate and a multitude of object variables just in case you chose to use some funtion, tool, option or property. Depending on what the history of the last open before save was you may or may not trigger a pantheon of behind-the-scenes work all requiring differen amounts of storage, hence the changes in file size. Hope this helps. JSW

[ This Message was edited by: Joe Was on 2002-05-10 15:14 ]

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

be awair it can happen windows reports files in different sizes regardless they can be exact copy

one reason it where they are store on the Hard Drive, and the allocation system to space ir if it crosses a sector or cluster or over the 32kb section it will repost bigger... windows ermmm,....

advanced utilitys that tidy hard drives can solve this.... but not worth the agro really, 50 100k files are fine and take little space, amusing i agree..
    Free Excel based Web Toolbar available here.

Jack in the UK
    J & R Excel Solutions
    "making Excel work for you"

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others