Corrupted Individual! please help me

neilwhite

can anybody please help i'm desperate, i have what i now know is a corrupted spreadsheet and i desperatley need to recover it, people have advised of excel recovery programs but i dont have $200 to spare , can any one please, please help me!

Neilchriswhite@hotmail.com

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hi,

You may be able to open it through StarCalc, the spreadsheet from Sun's StarOffice suite. The software is free, but it takes a long time to download. No guarantees, either. http://www.sun.com

If there are a lot of function calls to Analysis ToolPak functions, it may not open fully (meaning your formulae may be lost or throw errors). Also, you will not be able to save your VBA code.

I have StarOffice, both at home and at work, so I can try to open it. Send it to:

john.petrulis@notes.ntrs.com
jaybpetrulis@yahoo.com

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0
how do you know its curupt???

Any error messages or waht happening thats the *what*

im lost above as i can see the logic, but we need to look at the facts, i dont suggest BUSTING files open as the might but like a safe the door never fit quite the sane again,

version of excel??

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Just to let you know, Neil's Excel file couldn't be opened (at least by me) in Excel 97.

StarCalc *did* open the file without a problem, and it appears that no data was lost. StarCalc allows you to save as an Excel format, which I did. I then could open the file without a hitch in Excel.

Although this is an Excel site, I would encourage everyone to give StarOffice a try. I personally like its Word Processing program better than Word (I do zero programming in Word -- used only as an advanced typewriter, so take that FWIW).

StarMath is better than MS Equation, in my opinion, too. Its PowerPoint equivalent is nowhere near as good, and I haven't used its database program.

That said, StarCalc is nowhere what Excel is, and StarOffice is not up to MS Office standards, but it it interesting to use in any event.

Best of all, it's free!

Bye,
Jay

Off-topic: To the poster XL -- you have made three posts to this board, and *all* have been caustic. Here, you recommend that the OP pay USD 300+ for and XP upgrade when he originally mentioned that he didn't want to shell out USD200. This was your nicest post, too.

Please play fair. Not everyone is as fortunate as you. Not everybody knows all there is to know about Excel, as you do it seems.

EDIT: Only one page worksheet of the corrupted file was recovered. The rest were blank. StarCalc doesn't usually drop entire pages. Not the total disaster, as there was some success in the recovery, but definitely not good news.
This message was edited by Jay Petrulis on 2002-05-11 13:43

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-10 17:40, Jay Petrulis wrote:
Hi All,

Just to let you know, Neil's Excel file couldn't be opened (at least by me) in Excel 97.

StarCalc *did* open the file without a problem, and it appears that no data was lost. StarCalc allows you to save as an Excel format, which I did. I then could open the file without a hitch in Excel.

Although this is an Excel site, I would encourage everyone to give StarOffice a try. I personally like its Word Processing program better than Word (I do zero programming in Word -- used only as an advanced typewriter, so take that FWIW).

StarMath is better than MS Equation, in my opinion, too. Its PowerPoint equivalent is nowhere near as good, and I haven't used its database program.

That said, StarCalc is nowhere what Excel is, and StarOffice is not up to MS Office standards, but it it interesting to use in any event.

Best of all, it's free!

Bye,
Jay

Off-topic: To the poster XL -- you have made three posts to this board, and *all* have been caustic. Here, you recommend that the OP pay USD 300+ for and XP upgrade when he originally mentioned that he didn't want to shell out USD200. This was your nicest post, too.

Please play fair. Not everyone is as fortunate as you. Not everybody knows all there is to know about Excel, as you do it seems.

Jay thanks for the StarOffice info...I have
read of it....will try it out...

Agree with your comments re: Xl posts.

Upvote 0

Hi Jay:
Thanks for this really helpful information. I have used StarOffice release 5.1 and 5.2 a little bit. Now, I understand there is version 6.0 -- and I believe it is well on its way to being Open Source. It works in Windows, Linux, and Solaris.

Regards!

Upvote 0
Don't know if this helps anyone, or if anyone has ever heard of it.

Excel 97 has a little difficulty in renaming the sheets behind the scenes. It goes a little something like this:

Sheet1 is copied into the same workbook. In the VBE, it's now Sheet11. Sheet11 gets copied and becomes Sheet111. Before you know it, you've got Sheet1111111111111111111, and the bottom line is that E97 can't open it after while. I'm not sure what the exact mix needs to be to create the phenomena because it doesn't happen all the time. Could be code in the file, could be code in the worksheet, could be a service release, I don't know the cause.

Anyway, Lotus 123 and higher versions of Excel don't recognize that particular little problem. If your worksheets are heading toward corruption -- happens a lot with workbooks that have been around a long time -- you can save the file down to Excel 5.0, then save back to 97. 5.0 does not recognize the sheet names when they're like that and it *fixes them*.

Excel 2002 actually fixes the problem for you (among other problems; it's got a pretty good repair thing going on); I've fixed a few myself for people who don't have XP and could not open their files.

So, now I'm figuring I can add StarOffice to the list of proggies that'll fix that problem too. Good deal.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help Jay the Starcalc Has retrieved the first sheet of my spreadsheet, which gives me some time!! but if anyone out there can recover a corrupted file in full or has Excel fix or Excel Recovery and would want to do someone a massive favour please get in touch!

Thanks in advance !!!

the corruted one

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back