Delete rows if specific columns contain cells with "N/A"

lekh0602

Hi,

I would like to set up a button where cells with "N/A" in specific columns will then delete the relevant row - the columns are Z, AA and AB.

When I use the code below it does not seem to work.

The code is the following:

Sub Button3_Click()
'Declare variables
Dim rngFound As Range 'Used for the find loop
Dim rngDel As Range 'Used to store matching rows
Dim strFirst As String 'Used to store the first cell address of the find loop to prevent infinite loop

'Search for #N/A in column C
Set rngFound = Columns("Z").Find("#N/A", Cells(Rows.Count, "Z"), xlValues, xlWhole)

'Make sure something was found
If Not rngFound Is Nothing Then
'Found something, record first cell address
strFirst = rngFound.Address

'Start loop
Do
'Check if cells in column Z, AA, and AB are all #N/A
If Cells(rngFound.Row, "Z").Text = "#N/A" _
And Cells(rngFound.Row, "AA").Text = "#N/A" _
And Cells(rngFound.Row, "AB").Text = "#N/A" Then

'Found they are all #N/A, store the row in rngDel
If rngDel Is Nothing Then Set rngDel = rngFound Else Set rngDel = Union(rngDel, rngFound)

End If

'Advance the loop to the next cell with #N/A in column Z
Set rngFound = Columns("Z").Find("#N/A", rngFound, xlValues, xlWhole)

'Exit loop when back to the first cell
Loop While rngFound.Address <> strFirst
End If

'If rngDel has anything in it, delete all of its rows
If Not rngDel Is Nothing Then rngDel.EntireRow.Delete

'Object variable cleanup
Set rngFound = Nothing
Set rngDel = Nothing

End Sub

I would appreciate any inputs to what I am doing wrong.

Thanks.

Yes, the #N/A is the result of formulas from column Y to AE - not all data necessary for the different formulas is available from another sheet. That's why I want to delete the rows where the cells show #N/A.
Sorry, I missed the switch in columns from the original Z:AB to Y:AE. See if this code works for you...
Code:
Sub Button3_Click()
  On Error GoTo NoNAs
  Columns("Y:AE").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas, 16).EntireRow.Delete
NoNAs:
End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Rick

Just looking at your latest suggestion, I was given a couple of useful pointers by a very helpful MVP on this forum, thought you might find them interesting :ROFLMAO:

The "CellType" part of every argument name for SpecialCells can be omitted and the function will still work. So, for your suggested code, xlFormulas will work the same as xlCellTypeFormulas. Second, I think it makes the code clearer and more self-documenting if you use built-in variables rather than hard-coded "magic" numbers.... instead of 16, I would use the built-in constant xlErrors.

Code:
Sub Button3_Click()
  On Error GoTo NoNAs
  Columns("Y:AE").SpecialCells(xlFormulas, xlErrors).EntireRow.Delete
NoNAs:
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Rick,

The code doesn't seem to work since the #N/A stay in the cells. But I get no error message when running the code.

Upvote 0
Hi Rick,

The code doesn't seem to work since the #N/A stay in the cells. But I get no error message when running the code.
What version of Excel are you using and approximately how rows of data are there?

Upvote 0
Hi Rick and Jason,

I'm using Excel 2007 but have access to Excel 2010 if necessary. The number of rows will differ from maybe 2,000 rows to almost 40,000 rows...

Jason, the button is on the same worksheet as the #N/A errors.

Upvote 0
I'm using Excel 2007 but have access to Excel 2010 if necessary. The number of rows will differ from maybe 2,000 rows to almost 40,000 rows...
Do me a favor and try the same file that failed using Excel 2010 instead of Excel 2007 and see if it works for you using it... and, of course, let us know as well. There is a limitation on the SpecialCells function in versions of Excel prior to 2010 that you may be exceeding.

Upvote 0
Hi Rick,

Suddenly the file cannot run macros though I have enabled macros - I don't know what happened. One moment it worked and then suddenly not. I will try your suggesten when the file is (hopefully) working again.

Upvote 0
Could you post one of the formula that returns n/a in your sheet.

I could be on the wrong track, but given that in an earlier post, the error returned by the code was resulting from no errors found in the sheet, I thought it might be good to eliminate the possibility.

=ISNA("#N/A") Returns false, so the code will not find it
=ISNA(#N/A) Returns true
=ISNA(NA()) Returns true, this also matches the error that you would get from a mismatch with a lookup formula, which the code should find.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back